Thursday 12 November 2020

Sorting the kitchen out and a wallaby!

 Thursday is Dart Fresh food delivery, followed by a quick trip to the farm shop for other bits needed. I had time to clear my ironing mountain before the delivery arrived. My ironing programme of choice was Midsomer Murders today. 

After packing away all the fruit, veg and meat, it was off to the farm shop for me and my son, who had the day off today. His girlfriend was busy working in spare room/office, so with nothing better to do, he accompanied me! As you may have read on a previous post about Oscar the Ostrich, this farm shop has several animals on its many acres of land. But whenever my son comes with me, we have to say hi to the wallabies. Why, I don’t know, he was never a great fan of  them when he little! The farm shop has two, unnamed as far as I know, in a large enclosure. We were lucky that they were out, as sometimes they are tucked up in their little houses.....



 Once the obligatory ‘chat’ with them was over ( it was very one sided!), I actually got to do the shopping I had gone there to do. All the Christmas goodies are on the shelves, looking very inviting, but I resisted this time and stuck to my list. 

My afternoon was spent sorting out my very tiny kitchen, rearranging things to find space for my new slow cooker which is considerably bigger than the last one. Also, the small area of worktop above the fridge had become a bit of a dumping ground for things that didn’t have a home. So, after throwing out/recycling several larger items in the top of my larder cupboard, my food processor and my food mixer have new homes. Hence my shiny new slow cooker now has pride of place on my worktop. I can’t wait to use it! I felt very pleased with myself, but also very weary, it seemed to all take an age! Fortunately my lovely son had offered to cook dinner for us all which was very welcome. Homemade Lamb Kebab in pittas with homemade spicy potato wedges was on the menu.  This evening I’ve relaxed with some magazines, while hubby has been watching the Masters golf on tv. 

Tomorrow I’ll definitely be tackling my Christmas card list, as I haven’t got round to it, despite best intentions. So I’ll bid you goodnight and say cheerio for now, Ann x


8 comments:

  1. I have very few kitchen gadgets because they have to earn a place in kitchen. But I love my big slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I’d like to get rid of the microwave, but when I suggested it years ago, there was uproar from the rest of the family! It is a handy appliance, but it takes up quite a bit of room in a small kitchen.
      My slow cooker is a big one, so I’m hoping to freeze the extra portions :)

      Delete
  2. How nice to have deliveries from Dart Farm, we love it there. I'm in the process of arranging regular deliveries of veg from a local organic farm, and meat from the village butcher who uses local suppliers of meat, doing our bit to support small businesses. Must be fun to see exotic animals whilst shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve found since the first lockdown, although buying local is sometimes a bit more expensive, I only buy what I need, the flavours are better and there’s little waste. So a win win really.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had a wallabie to chat to when I go to the shops! The lamb kebab tea sounds really tasty. Oh dear, I have to admit we have a dumping corner in the kitchen, full of random pots and heaps of letters :0 Lulu of Long Mizzle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the wallaby didn’t have much to say, Lulu, unlike the geese! The worktop is still clear of ‘stuff’ I wonder how long it will last! :))

      Delete
  4. Very cute and not something I would expect to see in the Devon countryside.
    My kitchen is tiny as well, so any gadgets have to earn their place. I seem to use my old slow cooker less and less these days, so I'm not sure I will bother to replace it when it breaks. And thank you for the nudge to give the kitchen a good sort out before Christmas :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is a bit surreal!
      I didn’t use my old small slow cooker much in the past. But with three working from home now and sometimes with different work shifts, I’m hoping it’s going to come in handy x

      Delete