Monday 2 November 2020

Small and independent businesses

 


I shared this today on Facebook, as I have several friends who have small ‘non-essential’ businesses and are now relying on internet sales only. 

Shortly after last Christmas, I decided that this year I would try and buy some of this years presents from local or small businesses elsewhere. However since the world has been turned upside down, I’m making it my mission to see if I can do nearly all of my Christmas present shopping this way, with some homemade by me included. There will be the odd thing ie. some autobiographies for my Mum, that I will get from our local Waterstones, but I will strive to support as many independents as I can.  

So I’m going to use some of the extra time I have at home in the next 4 weeks, to source local craftspeople and also look on places like Etsy. I have bought many a lovely original gift (or present to myself!) from the little shops there. Also I’ll be making up some hampers with goodies from the local farm shops. I do love making hampers to suit the recipient. 

Who knows what our families will receive from us this year! But what I do know is, that I will feel I’ve helped in a small way to keep these precious businesses going. How will you all be dealing with your Christmas shopping this year? It’ll certainly be a very different one that’s for sure! 

Well, thank you for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

13 comments:

  1. I understand perfectly. Small businesses really need our help this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m looking forward to sourcing some different presents this year and help who I can :)

      Delete
  2. I feel really sorry for the small businesses at the moment, I hope with the support of the public and any help they can get from the Govt, they will ride the storm and survive. I saw the boss of Waterstones on the news last night saying that some of their high street shops may have to close for good in favour of their on line business - I do like to "feel" a book before purchasing though. I've had some lovely things from Etsy and Folksy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about handling a book first. It’s the same for clothing, for me. I see something online and go into the shop to find I don’t like the feel of the material. Etsy and Folksy are brilliant outlets for people to sell their crafts :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We support all the small shops in our village, we have a fruit, veg and zero packaging shop opening next week, we can't wait to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a very good butcher, an independent chemist and a spar/post office. I have to say they have all been fantastic during the lockdown etc. :)

      Delete
  5. There is a local craft shop and material shop that I have used to make gifts and cards for friends and family. We lost our fruit and veg market which is a shame I went there every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you having a craft shop locally! What a shame the market is no more. I’d love to be able to meander around a local market. :)

      Delete
  6. Like you I will be trying my best to support small local businesses, although sadly, many will not be able to survive. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’re right, Jules, unfortunately. Having said that, I’ve heard so many people, who haven’t previously bought local, say that they are now. It’s like they’ve realised it’s ‘use it or lose it’ xx

      Delete
  7. My daughter is a craftmaker and uses the inspiration of country to make many different things. If you want to see what she does her website is sarahscountygifts.com. all the things are homemade and unique. I hope you don't mind me telling you about it. She used to have an etsy shop but it didn't work for her. Hope you get whatever gifts you need from these small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, no, of course I don’t mind you telling me about your daughter’s website. I shall pop over and have a look :)
      To be honest I’m looking forward to buying some different things for relatives and friends this year.

      Delete