Wednesday 11 November 2020

A disaaaaaster!........and the final results

 Hello everyone, two days in one here, as the final scores for the millionaires shortcake came in late last night, along with the Swiss Roll scores. The winner of the Millionaires Shortcake was our daughter, much to the disgust of her partner (he did have an issue with the chocolate layer, so our daughter said) 

Speaking of Swiss rolls........I now know why I haven’t made one since high school ( good old domestic science lessons) and buy M&S ones when they’re on offer! Once I took it out of the oven and started to ‘roll’, it was a disaster! It completely cracked and became a rectangular roll. The actual sponge looked fine, albeit to deep.  Anyway I very quickly put it on a plate, covered it with clean tea towel and it was hubby’s turn. His bake also cracked, although as his sponge was thinner, it appeared to have more of a roll. So here are our offerings, mine is ‘B’ , please don’t laugh, haha...........





Anyway, the scores came in relatively quickly for ours........and I won!! Although it looked bloomin’ awful, it did taste really nice and the sponge was very light. Hubby’s sponge was very close, so I just goes to show even though two people use the same recipe, the results can be very different. 

So all the girls won and of course we didn’t go on about it........much :))

Today I met our daughter at Exmouth for a beach walk with a Blue Cross dog she was introducing to different environments. To say it was a bit windy would be an understatement! But it blew the cobwebs away for an hour or so and Ari, the dog enjoyed himself. He probably slept all the way back to the centre, with all the sea air! 

Tonight I’m going through my Christmas cards and sending list, to see how many special ones I have to make. The rain is lashing against the window now, so it will be a nice way to spend the evening. Thank you for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

15 comments:

  1. Great efforts from both of you. Like you I also buy Swiss Rolls rather than make them. Unfortunately, our favourite brand hasn't been seen since March and the shop just says they'll be back when they're back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that’s annoying for you. Let’s hope the bakers that makes them continues to trade after all this is over. Yes, I love baking, but I don’t think I’ll attempt Swiss roll again, haha.

      Delete
  2. I'm interested in how the Millionaire's Shortbread turned out. I tried to make it once and had difficulty with the custard layer not setting enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos of the millionaires are on my previous post, Chris. The caramel on the ones with the milk chocolate top were the best. I’ve never made them, but my hubby has in the past and his caramel was a little creamier.

      Delete
  3. I think the last time I made a Swiss roll would have been when I was at school. As long as they tasted good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why they always get you to make them at school?

      Delete
  4. Swiss rolls are often an entry in village produce show competitions because they are so tricky. I've avoided making one for 65 years so won't try now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t blame you, Sue! Steer clear of any Swiss roll recipes :))

      Delete
  5. Confession time . . . I did laugh at the picture of your Swiss Roll, but thank you - it cheered me up no end (stilltittering now!) I bet they tasted lovely anyway, my mouth is watering. I seem to remember having greaseproof paper in the base of the tin, then when it was lifted out of the oven, the 'roll' was started while the cake was still hot, and the greaseproof paper was used to keep steadily rolling . . . does that make sense?? Who cares as long as it tastes good?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that and a damp tea towel! I’m glad I brought a smile ( or five! ) to your face, haha. :))

      Delete
  6. Millionaires shortbread is my absolute favourite. I love the salt and sweet ....yum,yum. Well done ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millionaires shortbread is my son’s favourite too, although he chose to make the cheesecake. We still haven’t let the males of the species forget about our victory :))

      Delete
  7. I make a chocolate roulade every Christmas. I cover it in a dampened teatowel when it has come out of the oven, and once it has cooled, turn the Swiss Roll tin over so that it has the side to receive the cream, upwards. Then spread with cream, and gently roll up the sponge using the teatowel. It usually works. Regardless of cracks or what have you, eating it is the key to success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder whether my sponge was just a bit too deep ( my baking tin was 2cm narrower than the one in the recipe) who knows? Thank you for the tips and you’re right , I still enjoyed eating it :)

      Delete
    2. I have to say, it does look . . . substantial! But who cares if it's square or round - it will still taste just as good!!

      Delete