Saturday 18 May 2019

Devon County Show

Just three minutes into the 18th May 20 years ago, my son flew into the world. That little 5lb 13oz baby has turned into a caring, beardy young man. He didn’t know what he was doing for his birthday during the day. The evening/night was all sorted with a pub crawl and a club (mega hangover it is tomorrow then!)

Now every year, I go to the Devon County Show. I go on my own, arriving at about 9am and don’t leave until about 4.30pm. I love it, seeing what I want, when I want. But this year, it was a birthday trip with my son and daughter (hubby is still working away in Europe, so no day out for him)

A little bit later start (offspring didn’t want to leave quite as early as I do normally) but we don’t live that far away from the show ground which is lucky. Parked up with no problem and a quick look around to see which field we’re in and entrance through the White gate. A quick stop to pick up a coffee and we went to find the arena with the Devon and Cornwall police dogs doing their thing. The officer on the mic is always very good and the dogs are absolutely fantastic, the Spaniel ‘sniffer dogs’ and the German Shepherds catching the ‘assailants’

Next we went to find the Alpacas. My daughter and I love them and all photos shown today on here were taken by her. We looked at the trade stalls on the way. The size of some of the hot tubs on sale were enormous! So here are a couple of the Alpacas.....






The sheep were next. Lots of ewes with older lambs and some very handsome rams, like this one...

.

On to the pigs. Most of them were fast asleep with their floppy ears over their eyes and the occasional snore. These little chaps were just outside the main pig tent, in a separate enclosure with their mum.....



We missed out the bovines. I usually spend ages wandering around them, looking at the magnificence of the bulls and the cows with their calves.

I love the bees and honey tent. They do a fantastic job of educating people about the importance of bees and get the children involved in all sorts of things. They had the local honey producers selling their wares. My daughter bought a jar made a mile or so from where she works. They were also selling ‘tasters’ of something which I never done before... a scone half with clotted cream (made into a little well)  and honey on the cream. Delicious!!

The feathers tent was rather noisy, as you can imagine. All sorts of chickens, bantams, ducks, geese and turkeys including this chap. I’m not I’d call him handsome, but then I’m not a female turkey!.....



After doing two laps of the food and drink tent (purchasing cheeses, cider and coffee) I was glad to collapse in a chair at a local farm shop tent for a pulled pork bap and some chilled lemonade.

The only other display I really wanted to see, was the vintage cars. I absolutely love older cars. Although when my daughter pointed out a VWGolf and said she really liked it, I felt slightly ancient. I used to drive one of those! There weren’t as many cars as in past years, but there was one that caught my eye, VW Beetles are a favourite of mine....


I can’t imagine this very vintage one was an  overly comfortable ride....
.


So this evening, I’m sat with my achy feet up, thinking what a lovely day I had with my grown up children. I hope you’re having a good weekend too.
Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day out. It's years since I attended an event like this, although I remember the enjoyment level was often dependent on the weather. It looks like it was a good day for you.
    A very Happy birthday to your son. ๐ŸŽ‚ There's been one here this week too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jules! You're right about the weather. Last year it was baking! When I eventually got home, took my shoes off, I had brown legs and two tone feet! Think the birthday boy enjoyed himself and thank you for his birthday wishes :)

      Delete
  2. Proper country shows are always a good day out and the Devon Show looks brilliant.I'm glad you had a good time. I'm off to the Suffolk Show later this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they! There was so much we didn't have time to see too, although when it's just me, I'm there a lot longer. In August there is also the Honiton country show. That's only a 15 min drive from me. It's a smaller version of the County show, but still a good days worth. Enjoy the Suffolk show!

      Delete