Saturday 4 May 2019

A wander around Killerton House gardens pt 1

It’s been a lovely sunny day here today, albeit with a chilly wind. I was footloose and fancy free, as my hubby was working and son had an away day to watch Exeter City. So I decided to pop along to my local National Trust Killerton House. It’s only a 10 minute drive from our house, so I’m a frequent visitor. 

So I thought I’d give you a little snapshot of some of the grounds. Today, I just walked around the gardens, but there are a lot of woodland/fields to explore too, as well as the house itself. I’ll go into the house another day.

A gentle stroll towards the house where the Acland family lived.


Around the side of the house and into the gardens. They are not terribly formal gardens, lots of wildflowers and lawns. 
I made my way along the path to my favourite spot. The memorial cross is a tribute to Sir Thomas Acland, I never tire of this view. 
I love the stone leaves climbing up the cross.
along the path........

and you can see the little thatched wooden hut known as the Bear House, a summer house for Lady Acland in 1808.....
Inside there’s a very different ceiling rose, tree trunk flooring and a lovely stain glass window....




There is a Victorian Ice House, I did try and take a photo, but it was so dark, it didn’t come out well. I pity the poor staff who had to trudge back with the ice bricks! 

Some inhabitants of the gardens have their own paths.....
.I’ll leave you with some of the wonderful flora I saw along the way. My next post, part 2, will take us to the Victorian chapel. 




Cheerio for now, Ann x

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ann, I have visited Killerton House lots of times when we lived in Cullompton, just down the road from there. I can't remember seeing anything of the gardens as we mainly went to take the dogs for a change to their usual walks. The last time I was there I fell on the cobbles by the shops and cafe and hit my head. I remember my head laying on an assistant's lap while we waited for the ambulance. No damage done, but I felt a bit silly. Perhaps we should go back and introduce our latest dog to the 'newness' of Killerton House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joan, you definitely need to go back to Killerton, if only to have a better last memory of the place! Those cobbles are a bit of a hazard. Yes, there are some lovely walks for dogs there. My friend has two dogs to walk, so I'm 'in charge' of one when we go there :)

      Delete