Monday 6 January 2020

Getting back to normal....ish

Well, I say back to normal. Yes, the decorations are down, yes, all my presents have found their homes and yes, I’m back to the gym. But we still have a huge amount of goodies in the dining room! The majority were given to us for Christmas. So, as we are back to watching what we’re eating, I’ll organise everything into date order (we won’t get through them very quickly) and we’ll have a daily treat of a chocolate/posh biscuits. It’s all about being sensible and hubby & I normally have pretty good willpower (she says!)

Last night I did a meal plan for this week. I would love to do one each week, but I don’t always have time. So today we are having Potato, Onion and Bacon Bake from this book....

The prep was very quick, all ready for the oven......

Will it look like it should?....


Near enough and it was quite tasty, so I’ll do it again definitely.

On other blogs, I see quite a few people manage to get some fantastic bargains with yellow stickers etc. I don’t shop at the right times to come across these normally. However, when I popped into Sainsbury’s the other day, I came across large jars of mincemeat, with a best before of next November for 10p! So in my head, I did a little happy jig and picked up 4 jars...



I often bake an orange and fruit cake or rock cakes. Both of the recipes I follow use mincemeat and I had real trouble getting hold of some last summer.

Tonight I have skittles, but not until 9pm, so I have a bit of light reading beforehand...



Hope you all have a lovely evening, cheerio for now, Ann x

11 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, well done on your bargain mincemeat.
    Your food looks delicious, I have been thinking of getting that book.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really chuffed, haha! Pinch of Nom book is really good. For certain recipes, they do an electric pressure cooker method and a slow cooker method , as well as the convention oven way too.xx

      Delete
    2. I have a slow cooker, I shall have a flick through it when I see it in the supermarket.xx

      Delete
  2. The mincemeat is a great deal and will be fine for next Christmas. I had a quick look for some in the supermarket last week but didn't have any luck. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will, if there’s any left by then, haha. I don’t understand why they sell it off so early (not that I’m complaining!) when the best before is almost next Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I don't understand why they sell mincemeat of at all Ann. I could eat a mince pie any time of year...lol.
    We don't have much in the way of goodies to be used up apart from a huge jar of jelly beans I was given. I think Ruby may work her way through those for me.
    That bake looks really yummy.....and I do have that cookery book so I may put it on our menu too.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it beats me, Sheila! Haha, Ruby doing her best to help :)

      Delete
  4. Nice to be thinking of growing stuff when the weather warms up. It makes the winter pass more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have a good plan, Chris. I’ve still got parsnips and leeks in the garden at the moment:)

      Delete
  5. Good bargain - I haven't been food shopping for a few days to Sainsbury's so will probably have missed the bargains. I did get some yellow sticker cheese when out shopping in Tesco at the weekend with my daughter for £0.00 - a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, that was a real bargain! There was still some of the regular size jars for 10p in my Sainsbury’s yesterday, so you might be lucky :)

      Delete