Wednesday 8 January 2020

A treat or two for myself and some bees!

For a long time I have wanted a new dab radio (my old one only works on mw and fm now) and not any old dab radio! I love all things retro and really wanted a Roberts Revival radio. I did look in the sales, but nothing doing. So yesterday I went in and bought a lovely red one.....


I absolutely love it! Also on my shopping list was a new and bigger slow cooker. The one I have at present is very small and spits quite a lot as there is probably too much liquid for the size. So I splashed out and bought a 6 litre one. It’s big enough to put half of what’s cooked in the freezer for another time.

Our evening meal was another from A Pinch of Nom book, Philly Cheesesteak. Very thin slices of steak with mushrooms, onion & peppers. Once all cooked, light Philadelphia cheese is stirred in before piling it all in a ciabatta roll. Mine doesn’t look quite like the picture, haha....

 

I had far too many sliced mushrooms. The recipes called for 4 mushrooms but mine were huge, so I could’ve just used 3. Still, it tasted really nice which is the main thing and at only 375 calories, even better!

I read in a recent gardening magazine, that it’s a good idea to put your old Christmas wreath at the back of the garden for the birds to take the greenery for nests. So today I took the holly out of the wreath and hung it behind my cherry blossom tree, which is a winter flowering one.....



As I tied up the wreath, I was stopped in my tracks by a huge amount of buzzing. The bees are back and taking what they need from the blossom. I’m so happy I can help them when there are very little flowers around at this time of year.

Just me for evening meal, so I’ve had a Spanish omelette. Nothing exciting, but a favourite nonetheless. Tomorrow, I’m meeting up with my friend and we’re having a mooch around a garden centre and a good old chinwag. So thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

10 comments:

  1. The radio is a gorgeous colour.
    I'm just learning to love my slow cooker and mine is a big one....fabulous for batch cooking chillies and I love it for soups.
    It might be a good idea if I actually had a look through my Pinch of Nom cookbook rather than it just sitting on the shelf. That is another tasty recipe that would go down well with Andy.
    What a great idea for the wreath. I have one here and will be hanging it up for the birds now.
    Have a lovely time with your friend.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you can make soups in a slow cooker, I didn’t realise that. I’ll to start reading my slow cooker book in earnest now :)

      Delete
  2. Some good ideas in your post today, Ann. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the radio - we have the old version that has a big battery and then the version after these which is becomming retro too now but that runs on electricity and we keep it at the caravan as no TV there.
    It must have been so lovely to hear the bees and what a good idea for the wreath. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good radio stations now, can’t wait to explore!
      It was, I love bees. I find them so interesting :)

      Delete
  4. I love your Roberts radio, I have an original Roberts radio with green padding, it uses a PP9 huge battery, so I don't use it, I have said I would like to get it refurb to a DAB, but I really don't need another, so I leave it as it is, with paint splashes across the front, and loads of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if your radio is just perfect as it is :)

      Delete
  5. Robert's are very good radios. I got a Roberts solar dab radio for my retirement present from the civil service. I love it. A larger slow cooker makes good sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have a very good name. What a thoughtful retirement present! I’ve just got to figure out what to cook now :)

      Delete