Sunday 4 October 2020

Change of season

 Good morning from a damp, dismal Devon! Autumn has definitely arrived, dark evenings, chillier mornings and the odd storm coming through.

 But I do love this season! I love the cooler temperatures, the cosiness of the darker evenings and the trees starting to change their colour of their leaves before eventually shedding them. I love wearing my boots and big jumpers  (once it gets cold enough!), going for walks and skittering thought the fallen leaves and I love the ‘Soup’ season! 

I’ve had a couple of nice walks in the last two weeks. I met up with my friend & Bruce, as usual for a walk, this time in Haldon Forest. Not our normal walk, as my friend had pulled a muscle, so we took a shorter walk, one aimed with children in mind. It was lovely to do a different route. The weather was somewhat inclement, but a lovely walk nonetheless...



We found the Stick Man....

and a fantastic little shelter, a bit small for us! 



My second walk was with my daughter and Bumble. We went to Parke at Bovey Tracey which has a lovely river for Bumble to play in...


I just get mesmerised by the tree roots, nature’s artwork.......and also nature’s booby traps. I tripped over more than once! 



Back home, my sunflowers are looking very very sad now, after the horrendous weather we’ve had in the last few days. However, last week, one of them had a baby, how cute! 



I have been trying out some different recipes from one of my Joe Wicks books. This one was delicious, if a little bit too much of it. Low on carbs, high on protein (all good stuff, but it is a bit high in calories) so next time I’ll just eat a bit less of it...




Baking-wise, there has been scones for us and Blue Cross and a chocolate cake with chocolate buttons for Blue Cross last Friday. Nothing very exciting but they appreciated my offerings. Today I’m baking bread and possibly a cake. I have the day to myself, as hubby left for work at 7 and won’t be home until gone 10 tonight and my son is working too in the office upstairs. 

What other things have been going on in the last two weeks? Well, I completed another jigsaw. I thought this one would be quite easy being books, you know, just pick up a bit of title or picture and look on the box to see where it belonged. What I hadn’t realised, is that the books are duplicated, or more and sometimes had the same neighbours too! But that said, I really enjoyed it, once I got organised....



I also made up two hampers for an auction the Blue Cross Tiverton are doing for Blue Cross fundraising week. They are so curtailed this year, with what they can do, as is every charity. But hopefully they can get a few pounds in to the coffers. In past years, they have raised the most of all the branches, during this fundraising week. So I made a ‘Cheese and Wine, but Bring Your Own Cheese’ hamper.....



and a ‘Taste of the South West’ hamper...



and someone has been taking no chances in this awful weather!..



So that’s about it for the minute. I’m hoping to get some cardmaking done, more baking and knitting in the next couple of weeks. Oh, and I have booked our Christmas Day lunch at the Cranberry Farm, which is near my daughter’s house. Whether those plans will have to change, who knows! 

Thank you for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

15 comments:

  1. Hello Ann, I have just found your blog flicking though links. I love the Stick Man! My youngest would be so excited to stumble across it (we usually do the Cardinham Woods walk - each year themed on a different Julia Donaldson book). Bumble is such a great name for your dog. From neighbouring Cornwall, Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lulu! I must admit the Stick Man took me by surprise having not been in that walk before, I half expected the Gruffalo to jump out at me! I love Bumble’s name too, she’s my daughter’s rescue dog. I hope you haven’t been too battered by the storm, although my mum who lives in Plymouth, didn’t have the bad weather we did yesterday x

      Delete
  2. The hampers look great Anne, um sure you'll get lots of people buying tickets. It takes me a while to adjust to autumn and the darker shorter days but then I do suffer from SAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I quite enjoy putting hampers together. What a shame the changes in season affect you, as it does to many others. Let’s hope we at least have some sunny days!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ann, I do love your photos, especially the stick man! Autumn's not too bad, but I really don't like winter, spring is my favourite season. Autumn food is good, though! Just have to try not to eat too much of it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooze, I wonder how long it took them to get him upright, he must have a good foundation, haha. I have to admit I do autumn and winter and even bad weather, as long as I’m dressed for it. That’s the downfall isn’t it, lots of comforting, warming food!

      Delete
  4. What good hampers you've made - I reckon the winners will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I really enjoy deciding what type of hamper to put together. For these, with exception of a few bits from a supermarket, the majority came from two farm shops. I’m really trying hard to buy local at the moment.

      Delete
  5. Stick Man looks very much at home amongst the trees and I know a little girl who would love to see him :)
    Your hampers look wonderful, Ann. It's very generous and thoughtful of you, and the charity must really appreciate your kindness. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she would, Jules! I must admit I did a double take when I first saw him, haha.
      Thank you, the good thing about doing hampers is that you can accumulate the goodies gradually and yes, they are really grateful X

      Delete
  6. Stick man is wonderful. That would make a hike very interesting.

    Love the puzzle.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, Jackie! It’s wonderful that the Forest commissioners decided to do something like that. The puzzle was great, let’s just say it’s a good job I’m very methodical and have a lot of patience, haha. I’ve now passed it on to my mum’s friend :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy 'tagging along' on people's walks. I've enjoyed your autumn walk. We have had a stretch of cold damp weather punctuated by one gloriously sunny day with brilliant blue skies and shirt sleeve weather. I sat up to watch a thunderstorm roll in that night, and I'm glad I did. I woke up the next morning to temperatures in the 40s, gray drizzle. I still have a pleasant memory of sitting in a rocking chair feeling the warm wind through the screen door to hold me through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you ‘tagged along’, Debby! I love a good thunderstorm, but in our part of the UK, we don’t have very many at all.

      Delete