Saturday 19 September 2020

Catch up part two

 Good evening, hope you are all well! 

During my little absence from here, hubby had two weeks annual leave. We would normally just take ourselves off to a holiday cottage somewhere to have a chilled out break, but of course everything is different this year, so we just decided to ‘go with the flow’ weather wise and have some day trips, taking advantage of the Eat Out offers. 

Well, we managed to have two of the most rainy weeks unfortunately. However we still had some good days out. On one of the more drizzly days, we just popped down to Exeter Quay for a bite to eat and a bit of a walk. Lunch was partaken in Puerto Lounge. It was relatively quiet, nice and airy, tables nicely spaced out and a lovely choice of Tapas for me! Hubby had a burger, as he doesn’t think Tapas fill him up, but I was very happy with mine (with a side of sweet potato fries!)


We walked our food off along the quay. It looks very dull here, but it is still a nice walk.



Twice, during the two weeks, we went to Teignmouth. The first time just the two of us and the second with our sin too. We parked at one end of the seafront, with my little car managing to get into the last tiny spot and strolled along the length of the promenade. 




We stopped by the pier to have a coffee in the sun, yes sun! Normally I would want to go onto to pier, but it was quite busy. There were a couple of cruise liners with their anchors dropped in the bay, P&O’s Ventura and Azura. It’s not a fantastic photo as it was a bit far for my phone camera.


When we reached the end of the promenade, we sauntered into town for lunch. I love these pastel painted Victorian houses. I love to imagine what they would’ve been like in their heyday! 


We had lunch on both visits at a really old pub, Ye Olde Jolly Sailor. It survived the French Invasion of 1690s because the French used it as their headquarters! Back to 2020 and the food was delicious. This was the view from the outdoor dining area at the back, looking over to Shaldon.


We also popped into Dawlish on the way from Teignmouth, but the weather was turning, so it was a quick walk to the beach and back. I love the black swans at Dawlish and the ducks always amuse me....bottoms up!



Sidmouth also featured in our away days. Walks along the seafront and coffees/cake, there is a pattern isn’t there! The red cliffs in this photos are a feature of this area. Unfortunately, at the other end of the beach, there has been a lot of cliff falls, so part of it is closed off, as there were people still walking close to the cliffs. 


 I’ve had quite a few dog walks with my friend and Bruce. Here is Bruce being my best friend while my friend is getting the coffee/cake. It might have something to do with the fact that ‘Auntie’ Ann has some gravy bones! 


And of course there have been lots of walks with my daughter & Bumble. We recently took a trip to Lydford Gorge and the waterfall there (something on Bumble’s bucket list) I hadn’t been there before and it was beautiful. Bumble had a whale of a time in the river and by the waterfall.She snoozed all the way home, with some not so little snores coming from the back of the car! 




So that’s about it. All caught up, I think, so I’ll just leave you with a photo of Karma taken yesterday morning, sitting on the fence post after racing around the garden like a loon in the wind. She had to sleep for hours to get over it, haha! 


Until next time, cheerio for now, Ann x


10 comments:

  1. I love seeing your posts Ann, you talk about places we've visited many times. I can remember first seeing the black swans when I was on holiday in dawlish with my aunt when I was 13 I think. Bumble looks a lot like my betty (but with less wrinkles!) - what breed/s is she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Sooze! We are so lucky to have these places just a short car trip away. Bumble had her dna test done and she is part (wait for it!) American Staffordshire Terrier, Mastiff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Rottweiler. She’s a big old softie who is very strong!

      Delete
  2. Black swans are our Australian ones, someone must have taken them there! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, after seeing your comment, I did a bit of investigation and found this:
      ‘ At the turn of the 20th century, a local by the name of John Nash emigrated to New Zealand but kept close ties with his home town and returned to Dawlish on a number of occasions.

      In 1906 on one of his visits he presented the town with a gift of black swans. It’s not clear what his reasons were for doing this, but, it has been suggested that he wished to give Dawlish a gift that would make it stand out from other seaside towns in the area. A little something to make the town unique and, back in the Edwardian era, black swans most assuredly were an oddity and talking point in England.
      At some point between the two World Wars the Black Swans died out, but, the reason for this has been lost through time. However, in the late 1940s, a Captain Pitman who was a game warden in Uganda gave Dawlish a pair of swans in memory of his parents.‘

      I never gave it a thought to where they came from, they’ve always just been a Dawlish thing. You learn something every day. :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. I do envy you being so close to a beach and that waterfall. Wow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, yes, we are blessed to live where we do. From our house, we can get to a beach within about 25 mins and to the moor in a similar amount of time. The waterfall was beautiful. Unfortunately, the photo doesn’t really do it justice at all. I could’ve sat there for ages, very relaxing :)

      Delete
  4. You are taking me back to my childhood in Somerset, and days out with mum and dad, it's a lovely part of our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I’m glad it brings back some lovely memories. I’ll never stop feeling very fortunate living where I do :)

      Delete
  5. You've enjoyed some lovely trips out and have some beautiful countryside on your doorstep. Your friend Bruce is very handsome. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s been lovely, Jules. We were meant to be staying in a fisherman’s cottage in Hastings in June ( I’m a big Foyle’s War fan) , but obviously that didn’t happen, so our day trips were really enjoyed!
    For a spaniel, Bruce is very calm. I think I might have this photo of him blown up and framed for my friend’s Christmas present :)

    ReplyDelete