Thursday 19 March 2020

Community spirit

A few days ago, as the announcement that the more vulnerable should stay at home came out, hubby suggested that we drop a note through everyone’s door in our road offering any help. In it, he suggested setting up a WhatsApp group (he’s more techy than me!) for anyone interested.

So the following morning, 27 letters were dropped through letter boxes. We have a wide variety of ages in our road, from a 94 year old to a very young couple and everyone in between.......and now we have 23 houses in our road’s WhatsApp group! We’ve had lots of offers to help the people who are staying in their homes, when they need it. Not just getting shopping, but offers of dog walking etc. Our oldest resident’s son has our telephone number, so if he’s not able to get her urgent shopping, we can.

But the best thing about all this, is the way we’re all getting to know each other. We’ve lived in our road for 26 years, so knew a fair few of our neighbours, but not all of them. The chat that goes on between everyone in the evenings is amazing, especially the humour. So in the midst of something quite awful, something very lovely is coming out of it. There’s already talk of a street party, once this is all over!

A catch up on today too. A dull drizzly day in the South West, but my friend and I still met up, in the open air, no crowds and a nice long walk along Exmouth beach with her dog. It was a bit dismal........




I tested out my new wellies......


We treated ourselves to a bacon baguette and hot chocolate each, in a near empty beach cafe. On my way home, I popped into Tesco to get a couple of bits for my father in law and his other half. He is 89 and grudgingly staying in with his other half (He’s not happy he can’t play golf!) The shelves were empty of most things. They only needed onions, garlic and brown sauce and luckily I managed to get everything.

Later this afternoon I baked for Blue Cross. I did check if they were happy for me to bake at the moment and they are. So these are making their way to them tomorrow......




I’m going to relax for the rest of the evening, a bit of knitting and perhaps we’ll catch up with some recorded programmes. Thanks for popping by, stay safe, cheerio for now, Ann x


19 comments:

  1. Lovely beach walks, we'll come back to Exmouth in the not too distant future, hopefully. The cakes look yummy, lucky colleagues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I meant to say it's a great thing you're doing. We look out for each other in our tiny hamlet, but in a more casual way.

      Delete
    2. Exmouth is a great beach for dog walking. As long as we’re looking out for one another, it doesn’t matter how it’s done :)

      Delete
  2. It's heart warming to read of people helping one another at the moment. I hope it continues to be this way once we are over the worst.
    Those cakes look delicious. If I can manage to buy some flour I will bake some myself.
    Stay well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping our little group will continue after all this is over. It’ll be handy for our more elderly neighbours during the winter months, should we have bad weather. I managed to get flour from a local farm shop, as there was nothing in the supermarkets, which was fortunate:)

      Delete
  3. Its great to hear that some good is coming out of this awful situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m dropping off some of my wool stash and a few patterns to a neighbour today. She hasn’t knitted for a while and I think she wants to knit up some kiddies jumpers for a charity :)

      Delete
  4. Isn't it wonderful the good that comes out of adversity.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will be a kinder world, once this over :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete