Sunday 28 July 2019

This past week

I can’t believe a week has almost gone by since my last post!

To be honest as it has been so hot, I’ve been mainly doing jobs at home with the fan on.

On Monday there was the normal beginning of week chores. Here, that is more washing on and pegging out. It was sweltering in the garden, so I was pretty speedy at the washing line, haha! Late afternoon, I went to the gym to use the equipment I was shown the day before. It was lovely and cool with air conditioning, until I started to exercise!

Tuesday it was flying ant day here. I know timings vary throughout the country for this day. At first I only noticed a couple flying around as I was taking in some washing. But by the time I started to peg out the last of the washing, the grass looked as if it was moving. Thousands of flying ants and millions of ordinary ones. They began to crawl up my legs or landing on my back (I was wearing a vest top!) so quickly retreated into the house.
In the evening I went to Aqua (aerobics in the pool). It was actually held in the outdoor pool, as it was such nice weather.

Nice weather until about 11pm when we had a fantastic lightening show and about 20 mins of torrential rain. I felt a bit cheated really, as the only thunder was in the distance and the rain was very short lived. I love a good storm and was also looking forward to having a substantial amount of rain in the water butt. Other areas of Devon had the thunderstorm on and off all night.

On Wednesday I went into town to get a few bit and pieces in the morning. Off to the gym in the afternoon to do a Bodybalance class. This is a mixture of Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi. I really enjoyed it. I haven’t done Yoga for about 4 years and it felt like it too!

Thursday, a quick visit to the docs, well actually the nurse and then I met my friend for our weekly meet-up. We decided to go to Otter Nurseries, a lovely big garden centre, which sells all sorts of other things too. Brunch first, in the air conditioned restaurant... lovely! Browsing in the shop, no air conditioning.....not so lovely. We were melting! Still, we battled on and I bought a few birthday presents for my Mum.

Blue Cross as normal on Friday. No baking done, as it was too hot, so I took them up mini Cornettos in my freezer bag. It was quiet in the main cattery, so I made up some empty pens, making the beds nice and comfy for the next occupants and putting new toys in each one. The Maternity and Isolation blocks were busy with another influx of kittens. It’s been very busy this year!

On Saturday, we took our daughter and son to our gym/pool, as our guests for this month. We spent time in the outside pool and laid in the sun for a while, before going into the spa area. They have a hydro pool, sauna, steam room and hot stone beds, so it was a nice treat for them. We topped the treat off with a meal there too. We’re not often all together, so it was lovely time.

Today, I actually had a lie-in! Hubby got up, fed Karma and gave her her insulin. His back is a bit better now, so he can bend over and inject her (we do it while she’s eating). Later in the morning I had to pop out to get a bit of shopping, before having an early lunch. It was our last PT session at the gym in the afternoon. We were both given advice on further equipment. Now we’re out there on our own!

This evening, we’ve been catching up on Agatha Raisin. We really are enjoying this lighthearted crime series.

All week, with exception of Tuesday night, we have had beautiful weather and heat. I know from other blogs that rain has been elsewhere and I have to say I am ready for some here too. This week we are apparently going to have some precipitation..... we will see.

Sorry this post is very wordy, I won’t leave it so long next time!
Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann

2 comments:

  1. I never knew about flying ants until I had an outbreak of them in my dining room in Northamptonshire. The whole experience left me with a phobia about any ant, flying or otherwise. In Texas, USA they have red ants which bite and I came home with a painful sore scabby leg and it took a while to heal.

    We live quite close to Otter Nurseries and go there regularly, sometimes just for a meal and of course I have to do some browsing, not necessarily for garden stuff.

    We had lots of rain here as well as thunder and lightening and it cleared the air a bit, but we're now back to the hot sunny weather which seems to be more bearable at the moment. Thank goodness.

    Glad to hear that your husband seems to be getting better. A bad back stops you doing a lot of normal things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your red ant bite sounds nasty, Joan. I was bitten by one when I had an allotment. It got up my gardening glove and bit my wrist. The only thing that sorted it was Lavender oil.
      The food at Itter is lovely, isn't it? It's a handy place for getting presents. Perhaps I heard your thunder!

      Delete