Saturday 13 July 2019

This past week

This week has been a mixed bag of nice things and not so nice.

Sunday, we went to a Car Show held in a big field at the Donkey Sanctuary at Sidmouth. I love cars and my dear hubby accompanied me, even though it’s not really his ‘thing’. The weather was beautiful again, so it was a nice wander round. If I’m honest, there wasn’t really enough vintage cars for my liking. Over half were what I call, ‘zooped-up’ cars. Nevertheless, we had a good time. You could sit on hay bales and listen to a live band, which hubby did, while I queued by one of the many food tents. We then walked down to the actual Donkey Sanctuary in search of a cold drink. All the donks were out in the fields, or their many paddocks, which you can wander to. There are some lovely walks and you are allowed dogs (on a lead) so it is well worth a visit, no admission but there is a shop where you can buy some momentos. They do a fantastic job saving donkeys from all over the world and have several sanctuaries in the uk, but Sidmouth is the main one.

A very dear friend of ours, my hubby’s best friend who he’s known from school, has been in hospital, after being taken ill. He’s having lots of tests/scans. So we have been visiting him often, to relieve the boredom of being in there, as well as keeping his spirits up and supporting him.

For the most part the earlier part of the week has been normal housework type jobs, shopping and the like, whilst keeping half an eye on Wimbledon. Then there’s been watering, watering and more watering! I can remember the last line we had rain!

Thursday, I met my friend for our weekly catch-up. I hadn’t seen her for a while, as she’s been on holiday in Kefalonia, so we had plenty to chat about. We took a drive down the Exmouth, found a nice cafe and had a look around our favourite shops.

Yesterday, I picked up some new glasses from Specsavers. My vision has actually improved! A quick hospital visit and on to Blue Cross. I didn’t have time to bake this week, so I bought doughnuts which went down well. Lots of the kittens have gone to their new homes, along with a couple of older cats and a couple of dogs, so a good week all round. In the evening, we went out for a meal with some good friends and had a lovely time. Good food, good company, we chatted about everything and anything! It was slightly cooler last night, so I slept better too.

This afternoon we are going to go to another car show at Powderham Castle  (I’m being spoilt!) It is a vintage, classic car show, also has steam and traction engines. A whole day would be too much walking for hubby’s back, so I’m going to cherry pick the areas to go this afternoon. I’ll post about this visit either later today or tomorrow, depending how tired I am!

This morning I’m just going to toddle up to our library and pick up a book I’ve ordered in. I’ve already watered the raised beds and pots etc. (about 8 watering cans) and fed the birds. Now it’s time to feed myself and take some cuppas up to the two sleeping beauties having a lie-in upstairs!

I’ll leave you with a pic of one of the fab cars I saw last weekend. If you were parking in Sainsbury’s, you’d need 4 spaces, very long and wide, but fabulous none the less.

Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x


6 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful car! I would love to go for a drive in it.
    Enjoy Powderham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful, isn't it? Probably only does about 10 miles to the gallon!

      Delete
  2. A visit to a donkey sanctuary sounds fun. Such lovely, gentle creatures, I feel saddened when I read how often they can be badly treated.
    I'm sorry to read of your good friend. I hope they find out what the issue is and he is soon on the mend.
    That's a great car, although if I were driving I think I'd give reverse parking a miss. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go up there a few times a year, Jules. They do such good work and the donkeys are such gentle creatures. I 'adopted' one called Coco last weekend, so I'll go up and visit him soon in his paddock :)

      Delete
  3. Donkeys get me every time! They're made to work so hard overseas - cruelly treated. I've never liked to see donkeys on beaches to be honest offering rides for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are overworked overseas. The Donkey Sanctuary do a lot of work overseas too, but we do live in a very big world. Thankfully I don't think there are too many places nowadays that still do Donkey rides and I'd like to think that we, the public, would report anything untoward.

      Delete