Friday 19 July 2019

Feeling unsettled

Yesterday was a strange day and I felt quite unsettled. That is the only way to describe it. I can only put it down to the fact that all my family were scattered. My daughter and boyfriend in Barcelona, my son flew to Amsterdam and my hubby had to go up to Leeds. Only little old me left in Devon.

I went through the day doing my normal household chores, but I had no enthusiasm for anything. Isn’t it strange how things affect you? So I went to bed early with my book and Karma snuggled up against me. Sleeping with her cuddled in was lovely, until 5.40, when she decided to throw up a fur ball on the carpet, urgh!

So today I woke up feeling much better........until I found a Collared Dove that Karma had had a go at. It was in a bit of a state and  not capable of flying (for the time being). So I lined Karma’s cat box with newspaper ( oh, the irony!) and put the bird in it with water, bird seed and mealworms. It looked a bit shut down, but I left it in peace and quiet in the garage and went off to the Blue Cross for the day.

This evening when I got back, it was looking brighter, had had some food and water. If it keeps going for the next few days, I’ll then look for somewhere that take birds in, as it will need some time for the wounds to heal and a cat box is not the place for long term recuperation.

I’m cross with Karma, but she is a cat and it’s their nature to hunt. I have a strict routine with feeding the birds. I don’t put any food down until Karma has come in and settled down for her four hour nap. The birds then come down in their droves and it’s gone in two seconds! But I think she crept into the back garden through the hedgehog hole in the fence and caught the bird scratching around. So I’m putting a breeze block across half the hole. Plenty of room for the hedgehog, but not a cat. If she has to climb up the fence, it give the birds some warning. It’s either that or put a cow bell on her collar!

Tonight I’ve been watching The Open golf. I really felt for Rory McIlroy not making the cut, in his own country. He was almost in tears in the interview afterwards. I wonder who will end up winning?

Something I haven’t had to do this evening, for the first time in weeks and weeks, is water the garden! We’ve had a fair bit of rain in the last 24 hours, with more to come tonight. The lovely weather is coming back afterwards apparently,

Hubby is due back later tonight. He’s no idea what time, as the motorways are chocka. So in the meantime, I’m going to settle down to watch a Midsomer Murders. Enjoy the rest of your evenings, cheerio for now, Ann x





4 comments:

  1. I hope you feel a little more settled once your husband returns. It's unpleasant if you feel out of sorts without really knowing why, although everyone not being in their rightful place can be an unsettling feeling.
    We've had a lot of rain here today, so I'm sure the plants will be twice their size by tomorrow. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, hubby's home and my daughter is home at hers now after a lovely hols.
      I think you're right about the plants now. If the veggies grow as quick as the weeds, I'll be happy, haha!

      Delete
  2. That's the trouble with cats! My daughter's cat used to catch butterflies and mice. Hope the dove get's better. My son brought a poorly one in once and it recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cats are adorable, but that's one side of them I'm not keen on ! My other cats on the past have not been hunters. Karma was a shock to the system nearly 12 years ago! Fortunately we've managed to cut down her hunting time, but obviously didn't work this time!

      Delete