Friday 29 November 2019

A road trip and a Christmas Killerton

Well, it’s been a good week so far. I’ve still got a few ‘Christmas planning’ stresses at the back of my mind, but with the help of various lists (I like a list!) things are looking a lot better!

Monday was just a very normal day and I needed a normal Monday! Lots of ordinary household chores, washing , ironing, food shopping etc. but just what I needed to get things straight. Then in the evening, I was off out for a girls’ catch up with ladies I used to work with over 20 years ago. We meet up twice a year normally and have a right old chinwag! Numbers vary each time, there were 12 of us this time. When I got home, I caught up with hubby on the phone, as he was away until Tuesday evening.

On Tuesday, my son and I went on a little road trip to Bristol. He likes to do something on his days off, especially if it’s a mid week one. Our first choice was the Christmas market at Bath, but unfortunately it didn’t open until yesterday! So we decided on the Bristol one, which was near Cabot Circus shopping mall. We had a good drive up (I was chauffeured!). First stop was for coffee and cake. This chocolate and cherry muffin was delicious!....

Next was indoor crazy golf. Now, my son plays golf, so thought his chances were good. It all came down to the last hole.......Mum was the champion! I haven’t let him forget to yet, haha. We wandered around the Christmas market stall, which I have to say were a little disappointing. But I did buy an alpaca scarf for myself and some truckles of different cheeses for December. Then it was more eating, this time lunch in Frankie and Benny’s. I was relatively good though and had a buttermilk chicken burger (without the bun) and a bowl of salad. After lunch, it was my son’s turn to make some purchases, before returning to the car and making the home run back down the M5. A lovely day!

On Wednesday I decided I needed to get out in the garden, no matter what the weather and cut back the plants that needed it. Just generally get the garden winter ready. I started with our small front garden and the bit between us/next door. All nicely trimmed back, then I lugged two bags of bark around as a thick mulch. It always looks so much nicer once that has been done.......


The back garden is a bigger job. However, I did cut back the ones which needed it the most and decided to dig up the remaining carrots and a couple of parsnip now we’ve had a couple of frosts. Being in a raised bed, I didn’t think it would be too difficult. But I got more hot and bothered getting the parsnips out than the rest of the gardening put together. This is why, they were enormous!.....


The rest of the day was spent quietly ironing, whilst watching Midsomer Murders and waiting for gardening aches to appear!

Yesterday, my friend and I went to Killerton House to see this year's Christmas display which was 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' They always do it brilliantly and this year is no exception. Lots of photos were taken, particularly the fireplaces. I do love a fireplace! It was tinged with sadness this year, as our other very good friend is no longer with us. She did make it last year, albeit not without pain, but she was determined. So this year we lunched in the restaurant there and raised a glass to her.  I felt she was with us.

So here are the photos from the visit. I particularly like the one of Santa, who has kicked his boots off after his busy night,  attacked the sherry and has a ticket to Florida on his table. If you look closely and zoom in, you'll see an elf crashed out on the cushions by the fireplace.

Today is Blue Cross day and Madeira cake for the peeps there. Have a good day, cheerio for now, Ann x




















4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely display at the Hall - I love things like that - you have reminded me to look and see what is on in our area. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Nat Trust houses all do some sort of lovely Christmas theme. My friend & I are visiting another one next week , when we catch up, but no big meal next time :)

      Delete
  2. Great photos, Ann. That was well worth the visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was, Chris. The Killerton staff and volunteers work so hard to put on such a good display:)

      Delete