Monday 2 December 2019

A visit to Castle Drogo

I had quite a busy weekend with a Christmas bazaar and a FA Cup game to watch amongst other things. Exeter City only managed a draw, so not really the result I wanted, but they live to fight another in the replay. But at the Christmas bazaar I picked up a jigsaw for £1, bargain! Just need to find some time to do it!....

Today, I met up with my friend and we visited another Nat Trust property, Castle Drogo. As castles go, it is a very young castle, building being finished in 1930. For the last 8 years, the castle has been covered in scaffolding and nearly all the rooms closed, due to complete renovation and roof repairs.

Julius Drewe, the gentleman who instructed the building of the castle, was very forward thinking. The castle was built with electric lighting and central heating, as well as the obligatory huge fireplaces that we expect in such places. A lot of the rooms had telephones, with a switchboard downstairs with the servants quarters. Even a phone in the boudoir!

Whilst we had a reasonably enjoyable time there, we were a bit disappointed. The castle was open for Christmas, but after visiting Killerton last week, Castle Drogo seemed very lacklustre. Apparently the  rest of the rooms will be open some time next year, so we will go back then and see the castle in full glory. But we did see some lovely things, including two Venetian glass light fittings from the 30s in the dining room and a gorgeous, rather large dolls house....






 We had a stroll around the formal gardens and then retreated to the Nat Trust cafe for a nice hot drink, as it was freezing outside! So while I’ve had a good day, it’s been tinged with sadness too. Three years ago today, I lost my beloved Dad, my DIY buddy who was always in my corner. I do so miss him!

Tonight I have skittles, so I’ll raise a glass to him and hopefully I’ll do well too. Tomorrow I’ve got the hairdressers and then giving blood, amongst other things. Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x


7 comments:

  1. I do like a castle Ann and Castle Drogo looks like one to put on my list for a visit in the future.
    So sorry your day was a little sad.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking great now, Sheila. The granite has been sandblasted too, I think. It looks so clean!

      Delete
  2. I am looking to go to Haddon Hall in Derbyshire this year for their festive event. It is not cheap though but I have always wanted to see it at Christmas in the candlelight set to Christmas music. I have heard of Castle Drogo but didn't realise it was quite a 'modern' castle it sounds very interesting.
    I miss my dad so much and it is now 13 years since he passed away but the sadness never seems to get any better. My thoughts are with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just Googled Haddon Hall. It looks like an amazing place! I think there are certain things that are worth paying for, to make a wonderful memory and this place at Christmas, looks like one of them. Look for to your post about it sometime in the future :)

      Thank you for you kind thoughts. You're right about the sadness.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a moment I thought this would be something to do with "Harry Potter". It does look interesting and well worth a visit. I wonder where the name came from. Thinking of you on this sad day but I'm sure you have lovely memories of your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a strange name I must admit, Chris. But sadly nothing like Hogwarts! I have some wonderfully happy memories :)

      Delete