Thursday 19 December 2019

I’m back and fully functioning!

......well in terms of being able to comments on my own and other blogs! The problem was rectified, on my iPad, by a software update. I still have to sort out my iPhone, but there’s no rush. 

So what have I been up to? Well, Christmas can happen now, as presents are all wrapped and some delivered to Plymouth relatives and some picked up by my brother (destination Swanage).

My friend and I visited the National Trust’s Knightshayes house. It was so much better than Castle Drogo. It’s a Victorian Gothic house and as soon as you step into the Great Hall,  smell the woodsmoke of the fire and take in the wonderful Christmas decorations, it feels welcoming and homely, even though it is so big! There were a lot of dolls houses dotted around the place, all of different eras. My favourite was the Art Deco dolls house (one of my favourite eras). The upstairs of Knightshayes was closed, as they ‘rest’ various rooms for restoration, so we’re looking forward to going there again once they’re open and when the weather is dryer to enjoy the wonderful gardens. 















My Christmas cake has been marzipanned and iced. I had all good intentions of making my marzipan and had bought all the ingredients but time was not on my side, so ready rolled it was. The same with my royal icing, it came out of a pot. I had a deadline, as last night we hosted a family Christmas get together and I only managed to ice it the day before!


My daughter completed on her house on Monday, which is a huge positive in her life at the moment (she has recently become single). So we have been helping putting together IKEA furniture etc. while she’s been at work. The other momentous event for her is that she has adopted her foster dog. My daughter works in animal rescue, and has waited a long time for this, but it is bitter/sweet thing. Her dog, who is adorable and a real softie, had to have a kidney removed, due to cysts. She’s recovering well, but the vets have confirmed that her other kidney is going that way too and she has cancer. Although she is no discomfort at the moment, she only has months to live. So my daughter is giving her her best life and any palliative care, once it is needed. 



Yesterday we had my husband’s side of the family over for an early Christmas get together, along with my stepmum, 11 of us in total. It became a regular thing years ago, as my Dad and stepmum always spent Christmas at a hotel on the Isle of Wight. Now my Dad is no longer with us, we still continue the tradition......a vat of chilli with rice or a vegetable/ sausage stew with crusty bread, followed by various desserts. There was chocolate and fresh cream Yule log or sherry trifle this year. After the food, there was bingo, a ‘pub quiz’ and hoopla on the reindeer’s antlers (my father in law was the reindeer which caused great hilarity!) all winners had prizes. This get together takes a lot of prep and I’m always exhausted afterwards, but there are so many happy memories made each year. 
 
So that’s me and my recent activities. A few quieter days, with Blue Cross and watching Exeter City, before preparations for the big day. Now I can comment on blogs again, I shall enjoy a few evenings of catching up on all your blogs! Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x


9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful time with family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Sue, they’re precious times :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely tradition and such good memories. It's so good that you include all sides of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth all the hard work and stress! Yes, it’s a good mix of family and my Mum is up with us for Christmas:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you back.

    Your family evening sounds like such fun. We are doing Christmas Eve breakfast at The Doodles new house this year and I'm looking forward to it.

    How wonderful that such a beautiful dog will spend it's last months being loved and cherished as it deserves. Bless your daughter for that.

    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Yes, there’s always laughs during the games! Ooh, Christmas Eve breakfast sounds good, have fun! My daughter and her dog are besotted with each other :)

      Delete
  4. The family gathering sounds good fun, though I can well imagine how exhausting it must be for you.

    I have so much respect for your daughter. That beautiful dog couldn't be in better hands, may they share some special times together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth all the hard work, Elaine and lots of fun. I’m very proud of our daughter and her dog is such a sweetie and has a bucket list drawn up of fun things :)

      Delete
  5. Great blog I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete