Thursday 7 November 2019

A lovely day out with Mum

Yesterday started off a bit murky. I could hardly see the bottom of our road!...


It did eventually lift. Mum was getting a lift up to Exeter with my brother, who had meetings in his office here. First of all we nipped out to Cranbrook, so I could show her the house my daughter is buying. She was amazed at the size of the garden, which I have to say is quite large, especially for a new build!

We then went to one of my favourite coffee shops, which is also in Cranbrook. It's a lovely independent cafe with fab bacon rolls and wonderful cakes. Mum tucked into a bacon roll and I treated myself to a Malteser and Minstrel brownie. Very indulgent! We had a wander afterwards, so I could show Mum the shops etc. Cranbrook is one of these ‘new towns’ and is only 7 years old, so it is still growing with regards to amenities.

We then drove back into Exeter, to the city centre. I had a couple of boring things to do, bank etc. before we made our way to the Cathedral. There was a Winter craft fair being held there and I thought Mum would enjoy that. I made two purchases, a handmade tote bag in a dog printed pvc for my daughter for Christmas and these ceramic holly leaves....


They will be hung on my dining room wall during the festive season. I could have bought a lot more from that particular stall, but I reigned myself in! We also had a walk around the Cathedral as I’m not sure Mum had ever been there before. It’s was sad to see that so many people died in their 20s during the 1700s. We had a little time left on the car, so we popped into a few shops of Mum’s choosing. One of which was Lakeland, the kitchen/home shop. They don’t have one in Plymouth, so it’s nice for her to have a mooch around ours when she’s up.

Then it was time to drive back to the park and ride, where Mum caught the Falcon bus back to Plymouth. It was about 15 mins late, but we had a good natter while we were waiting for it and she eventually got on it at 4pm. I got a phone call from Mum at 7.15pm to say she had only just got home! The Falcon had taken a long time to get back to Plymouth due to the volume of traffic and then the normal bus she had to catch to get to her house had broken down! It had overheated. So a couple of passengers and the driver had to wait for it to be sorted. I think Mum got to know the driver quite well by the time they were on their way again! But by the time she got home, she was quite cold and hungry, bless her!

Today, I’ve been to Aqua Fit, done the shopping and taken two bags to the local charity shop. Amazingly, I left the charity shop without buying anything, that is unheard of! I still have to do some baking to take to the Blue Cross tomorrow (probably a vanilla sponge with chocolate or coffee icing), accompany my daughter at DFS when she puts a deposit on a corner sofa (she wants her dear old mum there!) and fit in some ironing somewhere. I’m hoping to just chill this evening and read a few of my magazines which have been piling up. Hubby isn’t home until quite late tonight, so I’ll have peace and quiet, haha.

Hope you all have a lovely evening, cheerio for now, Ann x

12 comments:

  1. You certainly sound like you've been busy. Lucky you, some quiet time!! Haha. I have Monday and Tuesdays to myself as hubby is at work but he's off sick at the moment and my quiet life is over. He is so noisy, no wonder our pup didn't even raise an eyebrow at the fireworks. Love the ceramic holly leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your hubby gets well soon! For his sake and to get your days back to yourself:)

      Delete
  2. A Malteser and Minstrel brownie sounds delicious decadent and the ceramic holly leaves are beautiful. It must be lovely to just spend the day catching up with your mum.
    Enjoy your peaceful evening. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely day, Jules and I've had to be very good foodwise today, haha.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a perfect day to me....well apart from your Mum's journey home.
    The holly leaves are just gorgeous.
    Oooooh that brownie sounds good.
    Have a lovely evening.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. The holly leaves are so lovely. Hope you mum has recovered from her ordeal on the journey home. We have to fetch my mum now when she comes to stay as she had an incident on the train she used to get and it unnerved her a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she was doing much yesterday thankfully. I'm sorry your Mum had a bad experience on the train and things like that are unnerving.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day out you had.
    I love the holly leaves I would have bought those. I love local craft fairs.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! The craft stalls were all local people which was lovely:)

      Delete
  7. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . . . Helping Dog lovers

    ReplyDelete