Tuesday 5 November 2019

Remember, remember the 5th of November....

The 5th November I remember the most was 47 years ago. During the afternoon I had tripped down the bottom stair. My Mum and Dad were convinced I had just sprained my ankle, but as it got bigger and blacker, we had a trip to casualty. I had badly chipped and bone in my ankle. So I left casualty wearing a huge strapping and unable to walk on it. But it was Guy Fawkes night, we were all going to a big display and it was tipping down with rain. So I remember that night well, sitting on my Dad's  shoulders and watching the fireworks. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, not so sure about my Dad!

This evening hasn't been so pleasant. Karma has been so frightened, I ended up cocooning her in a fleece on my lap, a bit like a thunder vest.....


She stayed there quietly for about an hour and a half, until everybody's private fireworks has subsided. I do wish they wouldn't sell them to the public and just had the organised displays. Good on Sainsbury's this year, for not selling them.

Today has been a day of nice bits and pieces. A visit to a farm shop and also to the hairdressers. I walked through the churchyard to get to the hairdressers and noticed how lovely these cyclamens looked amongst the old headstones...



Tomorrow my Mum is popping up from Plymouth for the day, so I hope the weather is kind to us. Until next time, cheerio for now, Ann x

6 comments:

  1. Hope your cat has recovered - it has all gone quiet here now - our cat never used to bother much - perhaps he was abit deaf to it all. Have a lovely time with your mum. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was fine a hour or so after they stopped. Our last cat used to sit on the windowsill and watch them! Thank you, we will :)

      Delete
  2. We don't celebrate Guy Fawkes here but we have fireworks at other times (e.g. Victoria Day in May which is the official start of summer and Canada Day on July 1st.) It never goes on very long in my neighbourhood as the community on the whole is very considerate of the poor pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully there were no random fireworks let off tonight as is often the case the day after, but that might be because it's tipping down with rain here!

      Delete
  3. Poor Karma. I hope she has since recovered. Fortunately, the fireworks here seem to have been limited to last weekend and Bonfire Night itself, although they don't appear to bother Mog - she still insisted on going outside! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was fine once the fireworks had subsided, thanks, Jules. Isn't it funny how animals react differently to things. My first cat got so frightened, she used to crawl along on her stomach & my last cat watched them from the window!

      Delete