Wednesday 13 November 2019

Time flies

Where does time go? I can’t believe a week ago tomorrow, I was having a day out with Mum! Here are a few pics of things I’ve been up to...







The lane is on my way to Blue Cross every Friday. By now, the trees are normally all wearing their autumnal colours or have lost their leaves. But this year, they re still very green and abundant despite the terrible weather we have been having. Whatever the state of foliage, it always warms my heart to drive along here.

I had an idea to raise funds for the branch of Blue Cross I volunteer at and after chatting to some of the staff, I said I would provide a Christmas hamper for a raffle. Also, someone had donated a brand new free standing food mixer last month for a prize at some point. So I’ve also put a ‘Bake Off’ hamper together to go with the mixer as an additional prize. That’s my bit done, the staff are organising the raffle ticket sales at the rescue and on Facebook.

Hubby and I delivered the first hamper on Sunday. On the way back, we stopped off for coffee at the Fisherman’s Cott, which is right on the banks of the river Exe. We sat watching the water raging over the weir, enjoying some quiet time and ended up staying for a carvery! Delicious!

The weather has been rain, rain and more rain, so the garden has not been tidied up yet. But the ironing mountain has reduced and I’m trying to get my various Christmas lists compiled.

Today I made my Christmas cake. I haven’t made one for a few years, but I really wanted to make me this year. I made it with whisky, as I really don’t like brandy and I will be ‘feeding it’ a couple of times before the marzipan. The house still smells wonderful!

Tomorrow my friend is coming over and we’re doing some more cardmaking, as well as putting the world to rights. A cream cake and a bowl of tasty soup or bacon baguette will also feature. In the evening, I have some baking to do for the Blue Cross peeps. Not sure what to do yet, so I think I shall curl up in the chair and look through a couple of baking books for inspiration.

So until next time, cheerio for now, Ann x

10 comments:

  1. Good on you for donating time and effort to make the hampers. I hope they go to a deserving person. Our garden is under 10 cms. of unexpected snow so it will have to wait until Spring for its tidy up. Luckily I put mulch on the rose bushes the day before the snow storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite enjoyed putting them together, picking bits up from one shop and another. Will you have snow now until spring? At least your roses have their blanket of mulch :)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to win a hamper and those look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit Sue, I may buy a few tickets myself, haha!

      Delete
  3. Like Sue I have always wanted to win a hamper or even have one of the lovely Mrs Bridges gift sets you see at Christmas.

    I'm not a fan of fruit cake so I don't make a Christmas cake. I should make one for Andy as he loves it.

    It's a dreadful day here today. No tidying done in our garden yet so I am hoping for some of Chris's snow so that I don't have to look at it and keep feeling guilty.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those gift sets do look good, don't they, Sheila. Lakeland has a load of different ones. Only hubby and I like Christmas cake in our house, but we have a Christmas family get together, so it will be eaten then too.

      When I go up the garden to feed the birds, I try not to look around too much!

      Delete
  4. That's really kind of you to provide such a generous prizes. I'm sure the Blue Cross will be able to raise some much needed funds thanks to you.
    I intend to bake our Christmas cake next weekend. I love the whole process of making it. It kick starts my preparations for Christmas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I do enjoy putting hampers together. I really enjoyed making my Christmas cake and the smells that were emanating from the kitchen were gorgeous. Enjoy your cake making next weekend!

      Delete
  5. the hampers are lovely, full of decent goodies. Lucky winners!
    Your cake looks amazing. I used to make Delia's quick Christmas cake, which was ok. Yours looks better.

    Same here with the non stop rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sadie! I'm hoping that the variety in the hampers will attract more interest. I'll be 'feeding the cake again soon, just hope it tastes ok, I haven't made a Christmas cake for a while! I'll be catching up with some blog reading soon, so will pop over to yours :)

      Delete