Wednesday 21 August 2019

Pootling in the garden

The weather these last few days have been a bit up and down. If you’ve had washing on the line, you’ve had to had your wits about you. Sunny one minute, heavy shower the next! 

Thankfully it was nice on Sunday, as we went to a family ‘do’. A joint 40th birthday afternoon tea party. It was held at a sports club, so children were able to fill up on sandwiches and cake, then run it off playing games on the grass. The adults just stuck to the devouring of finger sandwiches, cake and scones/cream and jam, whilst catching up with family members we hadn’t seen for a while. 

Monday, hubby, son and I went out for late breakfast, before our son went off to work. He has late shifts this week until Thursday. We went to Greendale Farm shop, so I was able to get my shopping there afterwards. Then it was catching up with washing/ironing and other housework etc. for the rest of day. 

First thing yesterday, hubby left to work away for two days. I had my quarterly chiropractor appointment, just to help me keep in working order! Returned home to hang out bedding and on to Topsham, to the zero waste shop (milk, washing up liquid and hand wash soap this time) I caught up with my friend, Liz over a coffee while I was there. I also popped into the Devon Air Ambulance vintage shop and picked up these beauties, £4.50 for both!....

Once I got home, I quickly picked in the washing. There was a mahoosive black cloud overhead! Weirdly, this huge cloud only generated a very short light shower and moved on quickly. But while I was out in the garden, I noticed that the wildflower patch was looking a bit unruly. I know it’s meant to look natural, but the yellow mustard had taken over and was going to seed. It was hampering the other flowers fighting for space. So the mustard was cut back and the other flowers look much better now......


I’m not sure what these are called. They were in the wildflower seed pack......

The Rudbeckia is starting it’s wonderful late summer/autumn colour...

The bees are still hopping from one flower to the next...

The lavender in the front garden was out quite early, so has now gone over. The bees are no longer showing any interest in them at all, so I shall cut it back in the next few days. However, the perennial wallflowers are attracting the wildlife, particularly butterflies. When I come out of my front door, I often have to walk through a cloud of them! These two were sunbathing and kept still long enough to take photos....


I had Aqua fit in the evening, picked up my son from work at 9 and then relaxed with an episode of Midsomer Murder. 

Today Karma has a diabetes check at the vets. I’m then meeting my son in town, after he’s had his hair cut. We’ve both got a free coffee/cake voucher to use at John Lewis. Then it’s home for me to household chores, while this afternoon, keeping half an eye on the racing from York this afternoon.
Until next time, cheerio for now, Ann x


8 comments:

  1. Our perennial wallflowers were over and done with very early this year. I know they're meant to be perennial, but they're looking decidedly bedraggled now and didn't flower so well this time around, so I think it might be time to get rid of them. You've had a busy and fun week, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do go a bit leggy and woody after a while, Sooze, don't they! This is the second lot I've had in the front garden. I'm hoping with careful pruning, they'll last a few more years. The bees and butterflies love them so much!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking very pretty, in the future I want to have a dedicated wild flower patch. Love your plates, I love anything vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to reign myself in when I go into the vintage shop. There are so many bit and pieces I could take home! But I'm training myself to just buy things I will use frequently:)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ann not sure if I let you know but I have changed my blog name and address.
      Marlene x

      Delete
  4. The garden looks lovely. I'm sure I've seen far more bees and butterflies here this year, but I hope if I plant some more wildflower seeds next season, it will attract even more. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I'm hoping some will self seed for next year, but I might thrown some more down too. I've definitely seen more this year, which is fantastic!

      Delete