Monday 5 August 2019

A day of pottering about

Today has been a bit of a pottering day, a day of doing this and that. When I got up this morning, I had expected to look out the window and see some rain, as per the forecast the night before. But it was bright and sunny, so, after seeing to Karma’s food/insulin and having my own breakfast, I got the supermarket  shop out of the way.

Next was a bit of gardening. I cut back a few wayward and ‘going over’ plants which had made their way up into the cherry tree and pulled up a load of weeds that had sprung up around the composter. The little patch of wildflower seeds I had sown at the beginning of June are now blooming...

 As this seems to be a success, I might well sow more next year a little further down the border. My next job was one of my raised beds. Most of the veggies in it had been harvested. There were only leeks left, which I had omitted to thin out. So I’ve now thinned and transplanted. It’s a little late in the day to be doing this, but still stacks of time before I’ll be using them.

My first tomatoes, growing behind the raised bed,  are reddening nicely...


The other raised bed is doing well. The onions are now drying on racks in the garage, but there are still carrots....


and parsnips...


 I’m a bit worried about them, as the leaves are enormous, which makes me think the actual parsnip might be small. We will see, but not yet. I normally keep them in the ground well into winter.

After the gardening and some lunch, I wandered up to our local library to return some books and peruse the cookery books. I came away with this one....


Thought there might be some interesting items in there.

A nice relaxing evening catching up on some Midsomer Murders and now I’m off to bed,
so cheerio for now, Ann x

5 comments:

  1. The wildflower patch looks lovely. We always do well with leeks, our tomatoes are nowhere near ready though....although we did plant them late this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes are in the top corner of the garden, it's like an oven up there when it's sunny :)

      Delete
  2. In the future I would love an area dedicated to wild flowers. Your tomatoes are looking good mine are way behind that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just threw the wildflower seeds down to see how they would do! The mustard has taken over a bit, but the poppies are battling through!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete