Thursday 27 June 2019

A ‘please myself what I do’ day

Yesterday I spent 5 hours clearing some of my daughter’s garden. She and her other half rent a house with a steep front garden. The previous tenants had done the bare minimum to the shrubs with no real pruning and not tackled the brambles growing amongst them. So with the rain and sun we’ve had you can imagine what it was like.
First, at the very top of the garden, by the pavement, I cut back what I could, so it looks a lot tidier. Then my daughter and I tidied up some of the front garden. It is so steep, at one point I climbed up to the shrubs, my feet slipped and I slid down to the bottom on my belly! Fortunately no one saw, otherwise I’d never hear the end to it. Anyway before & after pics and the dumpy bag full of vegetation to go to the council garden tip....






I’ll be back there for part two of garden tidy, once the bag has been emptied and my daughter’s other half is getting hold of a strimmer  to do the grass, as he has also come a cropper on the incline when trying to mow it.

Today, as hubby is away working until late Saturday, I’m having a day doing what I want, as I’m starting to ache a bit from yesterday. It’s very hot here but with a lovely breeze. So I popped down to Topsham for brekkie and had a catch up over coffee with one of my friends. Then had a mooch around the Devon Air Ambulance Vintage shop. They also have an ordinary shop too, but I adore the vintage shop. Ended up buying some hankies (vintage ones are made of much better cotton) and these bowls....


I bought the rest of my shopping, made my way home and am now flicking between watching the tennis and the cricket. It’s a bit too hot in the garden at the moment, but I will probably have my evening meal out there later on.

So it’s a bit of a lazy day for me today, but I don’t have many of them, so it won’t hurt. I’m up to Blue Cross tomorrow and it will be back to being busy. Hope you’re all able to enjoy some of this lovely sunshine, cheerio for now, Ann x

8 comments:

  1. Bet your holiday seems a long time ago now, Ann! We've never had a garden with a slope, thank goodness, must be a nightmare. You did very well, your daughter must be grateful. We'll have to have a look out for that vintage shop the next time we get down your way, it sounds just the sort of thing I'd like - lovely bowls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you park in the car park by the quay in Topsham and walk up to the town, the Devon Sir Ambulance vintage shop is just on the right. Loads of lovely stuff in there, Sooze

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have a day to do what you want. Like being on holiday. My daughter used to have a garden that sloped from the pavement down to the house. I used to find it tricky mowing it for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up crawling up on my hands & knees, must've looked a right sight, haha!

      Delete
  3. I love the Air Ambulance Vintage shop at Topsham, I didn't realise it had reopened.
    You did so well in your daughters garden, you deserve a day to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reopened in May, Debbie. It is nice and bright in there now and the vintage goodies are lovely, but the book section is a lot smaller than it used to be.
      I've enjoyed my quiet day, I must admit :)

      Delete
  4. we used to watch a man who had grass on a slope and he had his mower on a length of rope then fed the mower down the slope and pulled it back up with the rope - we just held our breath!
    You made a big difference to the garden - we helped our daughter and SIL with theirs last year - they were so grateful too. They are now busy with the new baby so looks like the mum and dad gardening team will have to go in again to straighten it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think I would be mesmerised watching him! I still have a bit to do but it's nice to see an improvement after the first round of tidying up!
    I'm sure mum and dad gardening team will be much appreciated again, especially with a new baby now :)

    ReplyDelete