Monday 24 June 2019

Marie Curie Tea Party


This past week, apart from a day trip to Birmingham for hubby’s back treatment and catching up with holiday washing, it has been a week of baking. On Saturday, I held my 3rd Marie Curie Blooming Tea Party. I started doing them after my Dad passed away from pancreatic cancer. His first birthday, not being with us, actually fell on the Tea Party weekend, so it was a lovely and happy way to remember him on what was a difficult day. He loved cake, so it also seemed very apt, as well as raising money for the charity which cared for him at night time, in his last week with us. This meant my stepmum could have some much needed sleep herself.

The past two tea parties, I’ve had two very dear friends helping me on the day, providing cake, teapots and raffle ticket selling skills! However, in January this year, we lost one on those dear friends to cancer, so I was even more determined that this years Tea Party would be a good one...
Loads of baking and tea pot buying! My friend who passed away was also the provider of tea pots. So thanks to charity shops and the Dunelm sale, I now have my own supply of tea pots to go with a large array of vintage china I have collected for this annual event. 

The weather was glorious, so the garden was set up with quite a few seats and tables.....




The dining table was laden with baked goodies. Orange and Fruit cake, Vanilla Traybake with Buttercream icing, Orange and Chocolate Marble cake, Toffee cake with Salted Caramel drizzle, Coffee cupcakes, Lemon Drizzle cake, Victoria Sandwich, Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Guinness cake, Banana Bread and Carrot cake....

The raffle table was pretty full too (this was taken before the guests arrived and donated more prizes!)...

We had more guests than ever this year, some unexpectedly, which was lovely. So more chairs and blankets were brought out. It was exhausting, but a lot of fun and so lovely to see a garden full of neighbours, family and friends enjoying themselves. 

The best part of all, the Tea Party raised £318, with a bit more to come. So happy! 

This coming week will be a more quiet and relaxing one with, if the forecast is right, a bit more sunshine. Until next time, cheerio for now, Ann x

4 comments:

  1. Well done on raising so much for such a good cause. I must say, all the cakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie, I was quite shocked when I opened the box to count it all up! I made sure I had some cake boxes available for people to take away too :)

      Delete
  2. Such a worthy cause and you managed to raise a fantastic amount. The cakes look delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jules and I don't think Marie Curie get as much publicity as some of the other well known charities. But they do such important work. I've got a bit of cake left, so my 'cutting down' will have to start next week!

      Delete