Saturday 15 February 2020

A big catch-up!

I can’t believe it’s been so long since my last post! But life just got in the way. I haven’t even had time to read your lovely blogs, let alone comment on them, so that will be something to do while Storm Dennis is doing his thing this weekend.

So what has been going on during the last three weeks? Well, apart from ordinary chores, there has been chiropractor, chiropody, sports massage and docs appointments. Nothing bad, just maintenance on my body. I was laid low with a fluey cold thing for a short time, a few days before my birthday. I slept for two days. I felt so much better for the rest, just in time for birthday celebrations,  which lasted several days.

Also my Mum isn’t well at the moment, which is a worry. She was taken into A&E on Tuesday evening and ended up spending the whole night in a corridor (with a load of others) as there were no beds. Fortunately my brother stays at Mum’s during the week, as most of the sites he works at are in the West Country, so he was with her for a lot of the time. She came home the following afternoon. She’s still not well at all, but has to wait for various test now.

But it hasn’t all been doom and gloom or mundane chores. So I’ll close with the nice things that have gone on.

Bumble’s birthday party/daughter’s housewarming went well. I made some vegan brownies to take, as some guests were vegan or dairy-free....


 Bumble was spoilt with lots of presents. She loves people and had a fab time. We bought her an antler to gnaw on. Someone gave her a lion mane as a joke present. She looked brilliant, as it was the exact colour of her fur! She so good too, you can put any hat etc on her and she doesn’t bat an eyelid!....

I made a Dorset Apple cake for Blue Cross. I should’ve taken the photo a bit later. I had only just put the sugar on the hot cake.....


My birthday celebrations started a bit before the actual day with my friend taking me out for lunch on the thursday. The following day, I went out for dinner with hubby, daughter (&Bumble), son and his girlfriend. We tried the pub by my daughter’s and it was lovely! Delicious food and they’re very welcoming of dogs. Definitely a place to eat again.

Hubby’s birthday present to me was a stay in London, to see Agatha Christie’s Witness for the Prosecution on the Sunday. Storm Ciara nearly scuppered our trip. Our trains were cancelled, so hubby ended up driving and as it was right in the middle of London, congestion charges were incurred as well as parking for 24 hours.

The play wasn’t held in a normal theatre, it was in County Hall, an actual court! You could book your seats to be in the jury, but I declined the chance of that! We’ve never gone to see a play and thoroughly enjoyed it. The end had quite a twist to it too.  County Hall is quite a spectacular courtroom and our seats were only two rows away from the stage.....




After the performance we had a lovely meal at an Italian restaurant, just across from County Hall. Beautiful food,  a couple of Witness for the Prosecution cocktails and a wander by the London Eye to walk off our meal.....



The following day, we visited the Imperial War museum. I hadn’t been there before and it was so interesting! Then it was back home, with Ciara still blowing a hooley. A hairy drive at times!
Once home, I opened my presents etc. I was thoroughly spoilt and my house looks wonderful with several surprise bunches of flowers.....



As for Valentine’s Day, we don’t go mad, we just give each other a card and hubby normally cooks a meal. This year he surpassed himself! Mushrooms stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan and tarragon, followed by pasta with chorizo, roasted peppers and parsley, finished off with homemade tiramisu....



(Back to healthy eating today and plenty of gym visits!)

So that’s me done! Storm Dennis has well and truly arrived. Apart from popping over to my daughter’s this morning (she only a 7 min car drive away) I’m not going anywhere. Hope you all keep safe during the storms, cheerio for now, Ann x

14 comments:

  1. So lovely to see a post from you Ann. I was wondering how you were.....and now I know that you have been very busy.

    Oh my goodness....how gorgeous does Bumble look in that lion's mane. It's so cute.

    It's a foul day here. Lots of rain but no bad winds just yet. Hatches are battened and we are staying in.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I can’t believe how well that mane blended with her actual fur, haha.

      It’s nice to have a day of doing very little today, Sheila. The weather is horrendous here, with several roads flooded and some trees down.

      Hope you have a good weekend too :) xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated birthday wishes, Ann. It sounds like you had a lovely time.
    Fingers crossed this storm passes quickly. The wind and rain are battering against the windows here already. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules, yes, I did! I’m not normally a fan of London. It’s just too big and busy for me, but we stuck to one area and I really enjoyed it.
      I’ll be glad when the storm subsides slightly, the gusts are horrendous. X

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic birthday! How unusual to actually be in the Court Room to watch the play (and to take part if you so desired!) I'm with you on the floral gifts - it was my 75th birthday a week ago and I'm still enjoying my 3 lovely bouquets, as fresh as ever after a couple of water changes and stem trims.
    Horrendous stormy weather here in Cornwall too and forecast to get even worse over Sunday and Monday. Yuk!
    - Rosemary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy belated 75th birthday to you! I’m hoping my flowers last a nice long time too. I’ve just seen the waves at Portreath on the news, quite spectacular and I hope everyone stays safe. I bet it’s blowing a hooley on the moor too. Hope your house remains unscathed in the storm x

      Delete
  6. It's lovely to have family around at birthdays. Yours seems to have given you lovely treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is Chris. My son gave me a new gym top top, which after all my meals out, will be getting a lot of use I think, haha!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete