Saturday 19 October 2019

Some good news and some sneaky decorating

Just a quick post to share some good news, as today is going to be full on, I think. But the first thing is daughter and partner are seeing each other again, taking things easy, but hopefully it’ll all work out as they obviously still love each other. But she has made it clear that she is still going forward to getting herself on the property ladder. In the past week she has been filling out forms and emails have been flying to and fro between her, mortgage broker and housing association. (She wants to purchase by doing a shared ownership, own 40% and rent the rest. You can purchase more percent at any time)......and late yesterday afternoon, they confirmed she has been accepted for a new build house she really wanted (It has a lovely big garden) The official offer is in the post, a £500 deposit will need to be put down to secure that particular property (this is then credited against the rent part of her outgoings, once everything is finalised) then it’s up to the solicitors etc., to do their thing. She is so excited! To have her own property will give her security and independence. 

The sneaky decorating? Well, our kitchen needs to be spruced up a bit. We had a new boiler last year which was smaller than the old one, so the walls need seeing too. It’s a very small kitchen, not masses of painted walls and no door, just an archway, so not much glosswork needed. So, while hubby is away, I’m decorating with the same colour on the walls, as I really like the colour. My daughter’s partner is coming over this afternoon to do the ceiling for me, which is a big help as I’m quite short. I haven’t told hubby I’m decorating. I want to see if he notices it’s been done, I bet he doesn’t, haha! 

So I’d better be off to B&Q now to get new paint, roller and brushes. Cheerio for now, Ann x

13 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased for your daughter on both the home and partner front. I hope is all goes smoothly and they have a long happy future together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes, I do so hope so too! :)

      Delete
  2. Great for your daughter, and a weight off your mind too. Hope husband does notice your decorating.....I wouldn't put money on it though, mine probably wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to hold my breath, Sooze, haha! He comes home on Thursday, so I'm hoping paint smell goes by then. I'll be burning some of my nice candles :)

      Delete
  3. love the sneaky decorating! I wonder if your husband will notice?!

    It's good to hear your daughter and her partner are trying to work things out. Not an easy situation for them, or for you having to watch it.

    Just been having a catch up, love seeing all the cats in your posts! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I very much doubt he will, Sadie! It's such a teeny tiny kitchen, but it looks so much fresher now. But do you know what's missing?.....some fairy lights!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was flabbergasted that your daughter only needed a 500 pound deposit on a house. Here the deposit on a mid price house would run to about $10,000 (2% of the asking price) so it is almost impossible for young people to get on the property ladder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, she only needs £500 as a deposit to actually reserve the property she wants. Her proper deposit with regards to mortgage etc., is way more than that and the only way she is able to go for this house, is because we have gifted her the money needed. I think the lowest deposit any mortgage lender here accepts is 5%. You're right, it is so hard for young people to get on the property ladder!

      Delete
  6. Great news about your daughter - fingers crossed they can get back together again and overcome the issues that split them apart.
    Good luck with the decorating - we have had the plasterer in for our pantry ceiling and one damaged wall - it is just to dry out now while we are away, then the good bits, decorating and fitting the units - can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are looking good for them :)
      Your pantry is coming together now and as usual with decorating the preparation seems to take forever, doesn't it! Bet you are so looking forward to nice bits now :)

      Delete
  7. I'm just catching up, following a busy week. I do hope your daughter and her partner can work through their difficulties. We can't help but worry for our children. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules and you're right, no matter how old, you'll always worry x

      Delete