Wednesday 2 October 2019

Craft show, cats and random stuff

Gosh, where did the last 8 days go? They’ve flown by! (For me anyway!)

Last Thursday was the big craft show at Westpoint, Exeter. Normally my friend and I would go together, but as she was on holiday, I went on my own. The stalls I was mainly interested in were the cardmaking and wool stalls. However there are always a couple of exhibits. This years were embroidery and whilst I don’t do embroidery, I really appreciate the hard work and skill in making these fantastic works of work.  Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to take photos of the exhibits which was a shame. I browsed the wool stalls, but didn’t buy anything, as I have enough wool to stock my own stall! Fabric stalls draw me in too, and I’m prone to buying fabric, but I don’t even sew! It’s always on my list to try. My favourite cardmaking stall, Card-io, was there again and I bought several stamp sets. This stall had loads of fantastic sample cards made up and didn’t  mind you taking photos for inspiration when you get home. So here are a few of their samples that I will try and aspire to at some point.........



Friday was Blue Cross day and I baked them a Victoria sandwich, which went down well. I spent time with this little deaf old lady.....

She was brought in as a stray, but turns out she was chipped. While I was sitting with her, one of the Blue Cross girls came in to say her owners had come forward and this little lady was 21! She was such an affectionate puss.

Saturday, my son and I went out for breakfast (hubby works most weekends) and then to watch Exeter City. But we lost, so the less said about the game the better! In the evening, I watched Strictly. I didn’t watch it last year for some reason, always have before. But it hasn’t got the same attraction for me now, is it a bit ’samey’ now, or is it just me?

Sunday and Monday, I caught up with washing, ironing etc. as well as a dental check up, as the weather gradually deteriorated and had skittles in the evening.

Yesterday, despite the frequent cloudbursts, I wandered around Topsham for a birthday present for my friend and then picked up my milk at the zero waste shop there. Later in the afternoon, as I was doing more ironing, I noticed this little chap looking for a snack.....
Sorry about the quality of the photo, the weather was awful and I was hiding behind the dining room curtain, so he didn’t see me! He nearly got blown off the fence at one point. Weirdly he was more interested in the sunflower hearts than the peanuts. Earlier in the day, hubby said there was a ‘different’ bird on the fence. It was a Sparrowhawk. Well,  he was unlucky, as all the Sparrows were watching him from a neighbouring Buddleia tree.

Today has been gloriously sunny and warm. I’ve been wearing a summer dress all day! After a docs appointment and food shopping, I’ve managed to do a bit of gardening. New membrane and bark has been put under the bird feeder for the winter. I do this twice a year. I cut back the lavenders in the front garden, as they’re no longer flowering. However, the perennial wallflowers are still in bloom and this chap was amongst several that were still bobbing from one flower to the other......
I also cut back the Nepeta (cat mint) and Karma felt the need to roll in the aftermath!....

I’m meeting up with my friend tomorrow. She’s been on holiday for 2 weeks, so we’ll have plenty to chat about. It’s her birthday at the weekend, so I’ve made this hand stamped poppy card, coloured using Pro Markers for her.....

So that’s what I’ve been up to this last week. Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

6 comments:

  1. You have been busy! I'm interested to hear more about the zero waste shop. We don't have them here but it sounds like a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, there's more of them popping up now. The one I go to sells a lot of dried goods, spices/herbs, washing up liquid, shampoo etc. and milk, where you bring your own bottles/tubs and fill them with however much/little you want. They weigh your empty container before filling and again afterwards. They also sell other eco friendly products, no plastic at all. I like the fact you can buy as little as you want, so you don't have packets languishing in the backs of cupboards:)

      Delete
  2. I have some card-io stamps but haven’t used them much. Lovely poppy card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought several over the years. They're very versatile. I think Card-io are also producing more stamps where you can build up a scene, very similar to Hobby Art stamps. Thank you for complimenting my card. I used glossy accents on the black part of the poppy, but the photo didn't pick it up unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. That kitty is so cute. 21! That's a good age.
    The poppy card is lovely. I've never tried card making before but looking at those samples I could be tempted. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an incredibly good age. I'm so pleased her owner was found. Cardmaking is very relaxing and there are so many ways to decorate cards too ! x

      Delete