Wednesday 16 October 2019

Libraries......and a bit of a slip up!

I didn’t realise until I got chatting to the library assistant, a few days ago, that the running of the libraries in Devon have been handed over to Libraries Unlimited. This is their ethos,

‘Libraries Unlimited believes in the unlimited potential of library services across the UK to make a positive difference to people’s lives and communities through the shared love of reading and access to a wide array of information and facilities. Starting with our operation in Devon, we are taking a new approach – re-imagining library services and adopting a new social enterprise structure that allows us to innovate to support our social goals. Across all the areas in which we operate, we aim to bring ideas, imagination, information and knowledge to people’s lives and communities, providing inspiring spaces and supporting learning through a variety of resources, support and events.’

Because it is a charity, each library thinks of ways to encourage all ages back into libraries and also raise money for improvements and events, held within the library. When I was there, they were just heading towards the end of a book sale which had run for a while. I picked up a few thriller/detective books for hubby and my daughter, who is a real bookworm!

 One of the things planned next is handmade Christmas decorations and cards etc. for sale. So I said I would try and make some cards for it. I have stacks of bits of Christmas card kits I’ve accumulated. So, along with a few gems etc., I’ve made these......



I had plans on making some more last night. However, while I was out in the garden yesterday morning, feeding our ever hungry birds, I slipped on our wooden sleepers that had gone very green in the recent rain. Desperately trying to stay upright, I must have looked like one of the cartoon characters, where your legs are going nineteen to the dozen and you go nowhere! Eventually I lost my battle and slipped on to my bottom, not before breaking my fall with my hand. I’ve now got sprained wrist and jarred elbow and shoulder! I took myself to the NHS walk-in to confirm the injury.

So cardmaking was out yesterday evening, but hopefully I can resume tomorrow evening. Looking forward to a wander around Exmouth tomorrow with my friend. There’s a rather nice cafe we dive into first, with some delicious cakes. Hubby has to go abroad with work for a week tomorrow and my son is visiting a friend in Berlin for a few days too, so it’s just me and Karma. I have full access to the remote control, haha!

Thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x



12 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing! I hope you are soon feeling better.
    I didn't know about the Devon Libraries being run by a charity now but that would explain the selection of knitted toys for sale 'in aid of library funds' being sold in our local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, I'm using it more today:) yes, I think they're trying all sorts of fundraising!

      Delete
  2. Suffolk libraries are the same - Called a Community Interest Group. I'm sure it's just so the County Council can pass the buck when anything goes wrong. County Council don't run many things at all now.
    Sorry about your slip- thank goodness nothing broken.
    Enjoy the remote control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're probably right, Sue. I can see plenty of Agatha Christie being watched in the next week, along with Midsomer Murders and Lewis!

      Delete
  3. Oh no Ann, must have been painful. And you're on your own....nobody to help out with things. Oh well, the housework can wait! Lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's feeling much better this evening. I have mastered left handed ironing though, haha. I'm hoping to make about 20 cards for the library :)

      Delete
  4. I do hope your wrist, elbow and shoulder are soon on the mend. Much of the ground is quite treacherous at the moment. I was in the garden removing the sunflowers yesterday and almost slipped myself. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I'm moving my wrist a lot better this evening. Our ground has had to contend with a lot of rain recently hasn't it!

      Delete
  5. The power of the remote control. LOL. I did exactly the same thing on my daughters decking a few years back. My hand was black and blue. But like you do glad nothing was broken. My bum took a wallop too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wood is lethal when wet, isn't it! I was so worried about catching my bottom/coccyx on the edge of the sleepers and I think that's why I put my hand out to take the brunt off it. Oh well, it's getting better, gradually:)

      Delete
  6. Ouch Ann- I hope the recovery is speedy. I have to admit to staring guiltily at the empty bird tray in the back garden yesterday but deciding discretion was the better part of valour and not risking the short trip.
    Enjoy the card making, I'm sure the library team will appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya, I'm using it almost normally now, just aches a bit if I do too much. I don't blame you not venturing out! After I composed myself, I did go back up, stepping over the sleepers and topped up all the feeders, so they'll be ok for a day or two. Hopefully they'll like the cards. I'm also going to suggest a Christmas local food hamper raffle. I don't mind making one up over the weeks running up to December. I'll see what she says :)

      Delete