Thursday 31 October 2019

A lot of toing and froing!

This past week has been quite hectic, I just seem to be going to and fro places!

Our daughter’s car failed the MOT at the end of last week. Her car ended up having to go to an actual  dealership for diagnostics, so was out of action until this morning! This wouldn’t necessarily be a problem, public transport and all that, unless you happen to work out in the country!

So Friday I drove out to the Blue Cross for my normal stint.

Saturday, my hubby was away all weekend. I left home at 7.30am, picked my daughter up and took her to work, drove home and then took my son into town (no trains running!) to meet his mates prior to the Exeter City v Plymouth Argyle derby. I then drove in, later on, to watch the game myself. City won 4-0, yay!

Sunday, it was back up to Blue Cross for 9am. I volunteered to organise the food supplies storeroom, which had become very untidy with new donations. Two hours should do it, I thought to myself. Five and a half hours later (!) I was done. Phew!

Monday, no toing and froing! My daughter managed to get a lift Monday and Tuesday. For me, Monday was filled with housework and the food shop, very boring, but after the weekend it was strangely relaxing! Then on Monday evening, I noticed Karma was licking spot on her front leg rather a lot. On closer (rather difficult) inspection, I saw she had what looked like an abscess. I can only think it had culminated from when she was ‘beaten up’ on her own doorstep by a neighbouring cat a few weeks ago. I had checked her torso and head for injuries at the time, as her collar had been ripped off, but didn’t think about her legs.

So Tuesday, hubby away again for two days, toing and froing to a different venue...the vets. Now, Tortoiseshell cats are known to be a bit feisty and a Tortie who has a painful leg even more so! The vet, however, did manage to puncture the abscess and with the words ‘ it might rupture, but she will clean it herself’ , gave us anti bs and painkillers and away we went (after paying a hefty bill). Hubby and I did manage a trip to Topsham for brunch and a visit to the zero waste shop, which was something nice after the trauma of early morning.

Wednesday, and it was our 26th wedding anniversary! It was back to taxi service to the Blue Cross. The last one! On the way back home, I popped into a favourite garden centre, treated myself to poached eggs in the cafe and stocked up on bird food. The rain didn’t stop all day and got heavier as the day progressed, but I still ventured out for a carvery with my son in the evening. Then it was batten down the hatches and snuggle up with Karma. Further into the evening, I noticed she really wasn’t too good. She looked very vague, back legs were very unsteady and she was very unsettled.  She was having a hypo. She’s only had one before, in the 5 years since she’s been diagnosed. So I gave her glucose syrup, settled her on my lap and waited for it to do its thing. It didn’t take long before she perked up.

So today, it was up to the vets again, just me, to replace the glucose syrup. Karma is ok today and I’ve only given her a small dose of insulin. Pain and infection can cause her sugars to be unstable. She has an appointment for the vets tomorrow which was previously booked for diabetes check, so she’ll have her wound checked out at the same time.

A double whammy of toing and froing tomorrow, first the vets, then Blue Cross!

So I’ll leave you with some positive pics! An apple crumble for tonight and a vanilla traybake for Blue Cross. Sorry for the very wordy post! Cheerio for now, Ann x



14 comments:

  1. An eventful week. I do hope Karma is OK. It will be reassuring, albeit expensive, to have the check up with the vet.
    Delicious looking cake. I might just have to make an apple crumble now. ๐Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend, Jules! Yes, I'll be happier after she's been looked.

      Delete
  2. Hope Karma is getting better, its horrible when a pet is ill. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she seems a lot better today thank goodness, but I'll be glad to have her checked over tomorrow:)

      Delete
  3. Poor Karma! Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, hopefully she's on the mend :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, you have been busy. You tired me out just reading what you have been up to. I live a very quiet life in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for a nice relaxing weekend, Chris!

      Delete
  5. I had a lot of toing and froing last week, I was glad to settle down of an evening. Poor Karma, I do hope she stabilises. Hubby's blood sugars are bad when he gets a cold etc, it's bad enough coping with him and he can talk. I don't envy you and a silent cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's looking a lot better now and off to the vets in an hour to get her checked over.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a busy week. I hope the weekend is a lot more relaxing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Janice! I have got a few nice things planned:)

      Delete
  7. I bet you have felt like a taxi driver after your busy week going here and there! It could be a whole new career for you! I love crumbles - any shape, size or fruit and perfect for this weather.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit, haha! Ann's Little Taxi has a ring to it! I have bought the Nat Trusts Book of Crumbles, so I will try some out this winter:)

      Delete