Wednesday 8 April 2020

More baking and making

Although Easter is going to be a strange affair this year, with just the three of us here, I thought I ought to at least make an effort. So I put up my trusty ‘all occasions’ tree on the the mantelpiece and hung the little eggs I had bought a month or two ago. Very muted and understated, but that’s how I feel at the moment........



But the mantelpiece is not without colour. When I ventured to Tesco last week, this little rose was half price and the scent is gorgeous!.........

Baking for this week (so far) has been orange and dark chocolate chunk cupcakes.......




and I tried my hand at bread rolls. Not a massive success. They tasted fine, but nothing like the round rolls they should have been..........

Just one card made this week. A birthday card for my friend who owns a bike shop. I stamped the image and used ProMarkers to colour. I stamped a couple of this image, as I really like the quirkiness and it lends itself to use different colours........



When today started, it was very dull, not what was forecast at all. So I got on with sowing some seeds. Two types of tomatoes, pumpkin, leeks and peppers were sown first, then Gazanias, Cosmos, Sunflower, Phlox and Sweet Sultan. For all of these, I used old rinsed out juice and milk cartons. An idea I saw on a zero waste Facebook page........

My Basil, coriander and Flat Leaf Parsley had more salubrious containers. These Wrendale herb pots were a Mother’s Day present this year..........



The sun is now out, it is quite hot and mid afternoon. So I’m going to get my deckchair out and absorb some vitamin D. Not much prep for evening meal tonight as I picked up some lovely pies at the farm shop today, while I was getting my eggs, cheese and flour (yes flour!) , so I have a bit of free time.

Hope you’re all having as good a day as you can, given the present circumstances, thanks for popping by, cheerio for now, Ann x

15 comments:

  1. really like that idea of using cartons although I don't use many. I have used washed out containers from supermarkets and sewed two different tomatoes, sweet basil, mixed lettuce leaves, rainbow chard and some cress. If I feel better tomorrow (have a gout flare up which is painful at the moment) I will sew some flower seeds and hopefully get my potatoes done as well. Enjoy your pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, all my cartons were in a big bag in the garage, waiting to go to a special recycling Drop off point, when I spotted this idea. You have a nice lot of veggie seeds sown. Hope you feel better today to sow your flower seeds :)

      Delete
  2. Makes me wish we had juice cartons but I dont. I saw that too very clever video. Love the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad I bought that tree, it gets decorated for all sorts of occasions, so well worth the money. Think I bought it in a post Easter sale in Waitrose a few years ago. :)

      Delete
  3. Yum to the cupcakes! Eggs are getting scarce here as people are hoarding. I have 4 left so hope I find some when I go shopping tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs sell out in the supermarkets very quickly apparently. But I’ve been getting mine at a farm shop. They do limit everyone to a dozen and that seems only fair :)

      Delete
  4. Those cupcakes look very scrumptious. My rolls never seem to be nicely rounded either.

    I really like the idea of using the washed out containers for starting seeds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. At least the rolls tasted nice, haha! :)

      Delete
  5. Flour...you found flour - I am beginning to think I will never see another bag in the shops!
    I like your rolls just the way they are - 'rustic' is very fashionable and commands a more expensive price tag (well they do in Sainsbury's!).
    The containers - a brilliant idea. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found flour at the farm shop, but was at a price. They did have 16kg sacks too, but I thought that was as bit excessive! That’s how I’m thinking about my rolls, rustic from an artisan bakery, haha.

      Delete
  6. The cartons are a great idea and your baking looks so delicious as always. I've just taken some flapjack out of the oven and will be making some Easter nests with Lily later today. I think kitchens all over the country have seen an increase in baking recently. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, flapjacks, another favourite of mine! I was going to make some Easter cupcakes and realised I didn’t have any mini eggs. I might make some Easter biscuits instead. I think you’re right, lots of people who bake occasionally are baking away in their kitchen right now. Enjoy your baking with Lily and Happy Easter to you both xx

      Delete
  7. Your bread rolls look just perfect to me, ready for being torn up and used as a “butter or brie delivery system” !!

    Our local egg supplier (a nearby farm) lost 60-70% of their customers overnight when hotels and B&Bs had to close - they are definitely not limiting how many their remaining customers can buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, the ‘rustic’ look rolls were perfect for what we needed.
      How awful for your nearby farm! Fortunately, I think people are baking a lot more at the moment.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete