Saturday 14 September 2019

Birthday celebrations

The earlier part of last week was spent doing plenty of food shopping, laundry and other household chores. My pile of ironing had grown again, not because I have been a bit lax, but a lot of my summer clothes I had washed and thought, ‘they’ll need to be vacuum bagged and put up in the loft soon.’ However, the weather is still very warm here in the South West, so I’ve sorted through them. I’ve kept back some summer dresses which I’ll continue wearing (with a cardi, if necessary) and put the rest in the loft pile. So there was a bit more ironing to do than I had originally thought. Still, I steamed through it (pardon the pun!) and am now smugly up to date.

While shopping in the supermarket, I picked up these Gladioli......



Such a gorgeous colour and only £1.70! It makes you wonder what they pay the growers for them, doesn’t it?

I did go to the hairdressers, via the Range, like you do. I had a little mooch around the craft section. I picked up a couple bits and pieces, but I’m going to the Creative Craft Show at the end of September, so I didn’t want to buy too much.

Wednesday, it was my daughter’s 23rd birthday. Until she was 5, her birthday date had little significance (apart from to our family of course) But on her 5th birthday, I left home in the car to pick her up from her reception class, the radio blurted out that a plane had flown into the twin towers. I pulled over and immediately rang my mum, who was at my house, to put sky news on. We made sure our little girl still had a happy birthday, but the adults couldn’t believe what had happened.
This year we celebrated her birthday with a meal at Chiquitos, where we wore sombreros (for a short time!) We had a lovely evening, with lots of laughter but a some point in the day, we all remember what happened when she was 5.

I’m still bringing in tomatoes from the garden........




I’m hoping the larger ones will redden up. The mini plum ones have, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Blue Cross baking for Friday was just a toffee loaf cake with salted caramel drizzled over it, nothing spectacular but it went down well. I had the pleasure of being with this gorgeous mum this week. The rest of her litter were having a snooze in their pen, but she opted to lounge on a blanket just by the pen and cuddle one of her daughters as she fed.....



Today I have been to Exeter City and watched them draw with Leyton Orient. It was very warm sitting in the stand. Hubby left early this morning and won’t be home until late tomorrow evening. He has to work away most weekends. So I have full control of the remote. So Midsomer Murders it is then!

Hoping for another fine day tomorrow, a visit to the gym and then I want to start trimming back more lavender in the front garden. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, folks. Cheerio for now, Ann x

10 comments:

  1. It was my dad's birthday on this day and Jill Dando was shot on my daughters - nothing as yet has happened on mine but my younger daughter was born on 13th - so it is a lucky number for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 is very lucky for you then! May your birthday and mine continue without any catastrophes! :)

      Delete
  2. I remember we'd just sold our house, and I went into the estate agents to sort out a query....he asked if I'd heard what had happened in the US, I said No, he put the office radio on and we listened to the events unfolding. It's always stuck in my memory - it's one of those 'Where were you when....?' moments isn't it. We won't be able to make it to the craft show, but hopefully might to the next one in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there are too many other 'where were you when...' moments that can remember. I was only 5 when man landed on the moon, but I do remember sitting in assembly and watching the recording on the school tv.
      The new year one is pretty good, a bit smaller, but that's not always a bad thing. They do have some different exhibitors too :)

      Delete
  3. It was my 50th birthday on that day and one of the girls I worked with was her 48th. We decided that to let the terrorists spoil our day would be letting them win, but it was still a very somber day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right too! We felt the same with my daughter's birthday, although on the eve of her birthday, she always remembers what happened.

      Delete
  4. 9/11 as the Americans refer to it will always be remembered but life does indeed go on. Happy birthday to your daughter. The weather is glorious .....long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the weather is meant to be good all week, fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  5. Belated birthday wishes to your daughter. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. I can't believe she's 23, where does the time go?

      Delete