Sunday 22 September 2019

A little break in North Devon

Hello everyone!

Last week hubby and I had a little holiday (3 nights). A few months ago, I had a little windfall. I gave our son and daughter some of it. My daughter put it towards her holiday this year. My son has squirrelled his away, as he is thinking of going travelling at some point. So it was our turn for a treat, particularly as hubby’s back was so painful during our holiday in Cornwall in June. So I booked a room at the Saunton Sands Hotel in North Devon. It’s a beautiful white Art Deco hotel built in 1933 (during WW2, it was painted green, to stop it being used as a marker for the bombers)

We left Tuesday morning and stopped off at Woolacombe for a coffee (turned out to be a cream tea!) and a wander. The weather was glorious, more like midsummer. There were loads of people taking advantage of the weather, on the beach......



Then it was back on to the coastal road to Saunton Sands. I had booked a room with a sea view, but also a balcony, hoping that it might be fine enough to sit out......



 Little did I imagine, when I booked, that we would be having such gorgeous weather. So we spent the time, sitting out on the terraces, walking along the beach ( we didn’t walk the full 3 1/2 miles) and lounging and reading by the pool, which was incredibly warm.  Each morning, around 7.30, I sat out on the balcony with my coffee, watching the sunrise...


and watching the dogs being walked on the beach and felt incredibly relaxed.

The first and last evening, we ate at the hotel and the middle evening, we walked down to a more casual, sister restaurant by the beach. All the food was delicious. We saw some beautiful sunsets.....


Thursday morning, we took a trip to Clovelly, but that will be a post in itself. I’ll leave you with some phots of our time away. Cheerio for now, Ann x







15 comments:

  1. How absolutely beautiful, Ann. Saunton Sands is lovely, a huge expanse of golden sand isn't it. It's been a while since we've been there. How lucky you were with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't believe our luck, Sooze! When we were walking along the beach, we could've done with an I-Spy book of Dogs to tick off, there were so many breeds enjoying themselves :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely room with a view. Beautiful beach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room was fab, Jean. I'm so glad I booked one with a balcony overlooking the beach :)

      Delete
  3. You did have lovely weather for your break. My daughter was receptionist at the Saunton Sands Hotel before she had her children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so lucky, Debbie. I have to say all the staff were absolutely lovely!

      Delete
  4. How beautiful, I think I'm going to have to book some time there too. We've been so lucky with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have, although it's well and truly over now. Well, it is down here, tipping down with rain today. It's well worth looking at some of their 'offers' for a treat yourself break. I'm definitely saving up for the next one!

      Delete
  5. Just what you needed - a break from your routines. I bet you feel all the better for it. Very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just what we needed, Chris. I came back feeling so relaxed :)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely relaxing holiday and a balcony to sit and admire that expanse of golden sands. The weather was so lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to just watch the world go by, mostly walking their dogs, haha!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see we lived in North Devon for all of our lives until just over 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some spectacular beaches in North Devon, aren't there Marlene. It's somewhere we don't go often. If I feel the need to quickly be by the sea, I'll nip over to Budleigh, Exmouth or Dawlish Warren, as they're so close to me. But they are not in the same league as the North Devon or Cornish beaches.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful sunset. I do love this time of year when it's warm and sunny

    ReplyDelete